1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best Residential Marketing Techniques

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by KildonanSnowRem, Oct 20, 2015.

1. KildonanSnowRem

KildonanSnowRem Member

Hello all.

I service residential clients only and I am interested in hearing some of your ideas that have worked to market too, and gain, new residential clients.

Things that have worked for me:

1. Daily Kijiji posts - I am in Canada. Kijiji is just like Craigslist.
    2. Flyers - I have delivered 2,000+ flyers.
    3. Facebook - I am young, so Facebook is second nature to me. I have gained a few clients through boosted ads and posts on Facebook.

What works for you?

*edit* I should mention, this is my first year and I have gained 20 clients all within 10 minutes of each other within the past 30 days. I am aiming at 30-40 clients for my first season. Is that a manageable number?

2. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

I would say 30 clients for a first year is more than manageable, and personally (if it was my first year) I wouldn't go higher than that, just because it may take you a little longer, so having less clients will allow you to offer the best services possible, allowing you to build your reputation, and that will help you long term.

Ways to help get new customers:
    1. Some kind of referral discount?
    2. Skip Facebook
    3. More flyers in your targeted area, and do another round closer to when the snow starts falling still.

Other things to consider:
    1. Make sure you have a backup plan. If your equipment breaks how will you service your customers (friend with plow, dads plow, etc)
    2. Be prepared - have the equipment you need to get yourself up and running

How much snow do you get each year approximately?

Also I checked out your website, I would take the pricing off the website that way they can't try to argue anything with you over it and compare that their 3 car driveway is priced to closely to your pricing for a 4 car driveway and things like that. Also with this plan if you get 6ft of snow over four months on a $100 a month driveway (lets say its a 4 month contract) you only make $400. The guy who's having people pay $40 for 3" is making $960. You're leaving money on the table, and lots of it.

Also on your website, in your FAQs you say no to doing roof snow removal. You could begin to offer that as an additional service after storms are over (so once all your plowing is done and you rest up you could offer it). My father and I did ice dam removal last year and the average house was $1000+ per side, and all we told them we would do was break the ice dams, and clear 4-6 ft of snow (whatever we could reach from the ladder) off the roof. In and out, 1-2 houses per day.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  3. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

I'm not sure that this is valid advice. Facebook can be a valuable marketing and communication tool.

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Not that I would personally know--but my company has one--but I do know it can be used as free advertising. It would seem kind of stupid to pass that up.

5. KildonanSnowRem

KildonanSnowRem Member

I agree with you on that one. I have gained many clients off of Facebook as well as email marketing. For a smaller investment than flyers..

6. jhall22guitar

I haven't been a fan of paid marketing through Facebook, although it is stupidly cheap. Maybe don't pass it up, but I would put way more money right now into flyers. They say it takes 2-3 times of seeing a company name to begin recognizing it. Hit the same areas with flyers again and you might get more results.

Flyers in a neighborhood with a lot of elderly might be a good trick too.

7. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

I don't use facebook's paid marketing options, but I do have a page for my business and use it to connect with current and potential clients, for free.

8. Mark Oomkes

Free beer.....

9. jhall22guitar

We do too, my comment was only meant to be in terms of the paid marketing on Facebook. I should have clarified in my first post. My bad guys :drinkup:

10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Throw a pack of exports in and he'll be beating them off with a touqe.

Get a sign saying snowplowing with your phone number on and ask your current customers if you can put one up.

11. Mark Oomkes

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

12. Doin_It

Doin_It Senior Member
    from Mt.

For an old guy like me I find your seb site hard to read, the grey on white isn't the easiest.