1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best Reference

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by joshg, Sep 20, 2010.

1. joshg

joshg Senior Member
    from VT

What is the reference you find most helpful for your chevy truck?

I am interested in getting something with good diagrams, how-tos, wiring info, etc.

See on ebay people are selling "mechanics" shop manuals on DVD not sure if they are worth much.

Haynes?

Anywhere on line that has electrical diagrams?

2000 NBS Reg Cab 4wd 2500 Silverado

2. joshg

joshg Senior Member
    from VT

3. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Haynes book at any auto parts store is a good reference.

4. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

I always buy a chiltons manual for everything I own. I rarely need them, many years experience as an auto mechanic, but when I do they're worth a million bucks. Especially the wiring diagrams.

5. Beater_K20

Beater_K20 Member

get your hands on a genuine GM shop manual. you'll throw your Haynes or Chilton "manual" away. they cover WAY too many years to be worth a crap. the GM books are generally at least 500 pages, and covers specifically your year, in all engine, trans, and axle combos... where they Haynes or Chilton will cover all of that, plus whatever years look like your truck. yours would be 1999-2006. ALOT of things changed over those years.

6. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

I had this issue. Ask all of your friends and family if they know a professional mechanic. Make kind and have a beer or two...or not. just find common ground. Have a business relationship based on loyalty and a friendship based on interests. It will all work out. This is really the best way to do business. You may be up at the weeeeeeeee hours of the morning freezing your azzzzz off with this guy. Find someone you like and continue to go there. I would recommend finding someone who works at a GM auto group. I have a buddy who works for a Dayton, Ohio Gm auto group. He is my advisor and friend. I bring my business to him, because your good relationship, whether because you are friend or you are an account it will pay off. Just spend the money and "have a guy". It will pay off!

Before I buy a vehicle he checks it out for me for free. He doesn't overcharge me because I'm in a tight spot. He discounts parts as much as possible (and still keep his shirt). He does my quarterly service and preventative maintenance. He will tell me a "cheaper" or "do it yourself' way rather than spend the money at his shop. He has been invaluable. When he retires from being the floor manager at the auto group he will have a job as my first in house mechanic. I also have another guy who is a mechanic that's out of work. Costs me money and my own pole barn but has the tools and knowlege/networking to get my stuff fixed. Like I said...in business always have a guy

PS....get the GM manual...theres no other way. Or get a GM licensed book... Check out your library for information on your vehicle. I have one from my library for upgrading my half ton. It did the job. Just ask around for the books/do some research on how to get it. The shops have to get it somewhere.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  7. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

Beater's got it right, more money but worth it.

8. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

All-Data is what I use.

9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

do you have your own subscription to this?

10. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

A friend of mine has it for his shop. So I just go over there to use it.

11. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

I agree, all-data is top notch, use it all the time. But a subscription to it is quite costly as is a factory service manual. Both these are probably more costly then he wants to pay and quite possibly out of his league mechanicaly. I do agree that these two options are the best, a Chilton manual should run him about $20 and give him everything he needs. Just depends how much you want to spend and how big a repair you can tackle yourself.