1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best receiver mount spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Bob V, Dec 9, 2002.

1. Hello everyone,
    I am offering salting this year and I'm shopping for a new mid-sized receiver mount spreader. I have only had residential in the past (using a push type) and want to expand a bit into small commercial lots. I have read every thread on this site and still am undecided as to which spreader would be my best pick.

I plan on using bulk salt but will consider buying bagged. My local dealer suggest the Trynex 575 and says they have re-designed it since last year. Problems last year with bulk salt jamming. He sells others but really thinks this would be best. I will consider other brands and models.
    Any insight would be very helpful.

:) Thanks:)
  2. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

I call tell you that I've been very happy with my Western Pro Flow 2. Though we don't have it on a receiver mount - I know you can purchase a receiver mount set up. The Pro Flow 2 (or Fisher makes one - same company) doesn't actually go into the 2" receiver, it mounts to "wings" on the sides of their proprietary receiver frame.

We also bought a Western 1000 specifically because it does go into a stock 2" receiver mount. I'm not as happy with the single stage, but you get what you pay for.

If the money is in the budget, go with the two stage which will move the wet bulk and in my opinion, give you better control of the application rate.
  3. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

575 Spreader

Bob the 575 is a great little spreader and would be good if your just getting started with ice control. You could then up grade from there as you increase your salting business.
  4. wyldman

wyldman Member

The two stage units like the Air-Flo MSS,Western Pro-flo 2,and the Fisher Speedcaster 2 all work pretty good with bulk materials.

The single stage units will dissapoint you if using bulk salt.They will work sometimes,but when it's real miserable,and you gotta get stuff done,good luck.I would recommend only using dry bagged product in these.

Just to clarify,the receiver mount for the Pro-flo 2 is actually a whole new receiver hitch and is quite an expensive option.It doesn't use the 2" reciever hole,it mounts to the outside edges of the hitch.I just fabbed my own mounts.
  5. chris k

chris k Senior Member

I just purchased the speedcaster2 spreader. I have used it three or four times with a bulk sand/salt mix. It works pretty well. You just have to watch for any big clumps going in or they will jam up at the end of the conveyour belt. Beats hand sanding.
  6. Garagekeeper

What do you have? Is a vibrator recomended?

7. chris k

Speadcaster 2 is that a v-box or tail mount? Just curious.
  8. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Pro flow 2 and speedcaster 2 are tailgate mount two stage units spreaders. They have a belt that feed the material to the spinner.
    Nice units but pricey.
  9. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Bob I actually sell Trynex spreaders. I have sold good number of the 575 units and they are just so darn simple and reliable. It's a good choice for someone just getting into the salting business. No you wouldn't need a vibrator on the unit using bagged material. John
  10. chris k

chris k Senior Member

Bob V -

It is the tailgate mount. Well actually it comes with a reciever that has little wings on the side that the main brackets slide into. If you are thinking about using sand and salt make sure you get the speedcaster2 not the original speedcaster.
  11. Brother1

Brother1 Member

LESCO minispreader???

Do any of you guys know anything about the LESCO tailgate spreaders?? Our dealer has a few for $1100. Also looking at a SnowEx that my neighbor sells but is a few hundred more. Trying to figure out the better deal but don't see many LESCO ones used and havent heard much about them.
  12. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

I own a Pro Flo 2 & a Trynex 575. They are both great units for what they do. The Pro Flo 2 is like a Timex, "Takes a lickin' & keeps on tickin' ". Its 5 years old, well rusted, used & abused, and works great and was well worth every penny spent on it. During the last storm we had, the mounting bracket we had it on broke & the thing dropped off the back of the truck doing 25 mph with a full load. Picked it back up, bent some pieces back & replaced one crumpled bracket, and its running like new again. I couldn't believe the shaft didn't get bent on an impact like that. I got the 575 2 years ago so I could avoid sending the other salt trucks to smaller lots that I might do with the truck its on, and for spot salting. Its a simple unit that installs easily. Spreads bagged material great, bulk salt needs to be real dry to work well. If the bulk is wet, it bridges too much & is a PIA. I will be getting a vibrator for it though in the hopes that it will fix that problem possibly, and can then use bulk at times that it is convenient over bagged.

Snow Ex and Trynex are actually the same thing correct?

I believe the Lesco spreader is either a Snow Ex or Buyers unit with the Lesco name & colors put on it (I can't remember which as I haven't seen one of their ads in any of the trade mags for a while). Not sure how much more or less it costs the customer to have the Lesco name on it.
  13. BRL

How is you Trynex 575 mounted? Are your controls easy to use? I have heard the 575 seems to spead to one side, Can this be improper adjustment by the operator? Just when I was about to run up and order one, a friend told me of a used Western rear mount for sale for $400.00. Not sure of the model. I'll check it out

Thanks for all the great feed back. Any more Tips?
  14. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

The above quote is exactly what I found. I also have a tailgate 575 and found that it spreads dry material real well. I went to try Magic this year and it won't go through. I purchased the Vibration kit for it and it arrived yesterday and I will be intalling it today so I will let you know how it spreads the Magic once I get a storm to use it on.
  15. BRL

Its a hitch receiver mount. Actually your questions bring up my only 2 complaints about the unit.
    1. The controller: As posted by others here, its an adjustable speed, however, when you turn it on it always starts at full speed for a couple of seconds, then backs down to the speed you have it set to. This is slightly annoying, but once you're used to that, you can plan accordingly & you start to set yourself up to start it where you need heavier apps naturally.
    2. The spray pattern is not adjustable. I don't know how the pattern could be to one side or another as you said people told you. Its set with a centered, permanent spray pattern, and since its in the hitch receiver, its an even spread. Sometimes there are situations where one wants to spread more left or right, so I may fab something up to have that option when I get some time.

Thinking about this though, maybe it spreads a little more to one side at the start because it is going at full blast for that first 2 seconds, making it look a little heavier where that full blast shoots out?? I hadn't really noticed that happening, but it seems possible.

I haven't had a problem with bagged Magic. Maybe you are using bulk sprayed with Magic & that makes a difference??
  16. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

I am using bagged Magic which is interesting if you are using the same unit. Mine bridges and won't spread unless I wack the sides. I know that Alan has the same unit and he had the same problem and solved it with a vibration kit. How new is your unit. Mine is at least 3 years old. According to the first post by Bob V the second generation units have been redesigned, maybe that is what the difference is??
  17. BRL

I bought it in December of 2000. I talked with Garagekeeper who sells Trynex & he said he hadn't heard of any design changes. So, who knows??
  18. Thanks guys, for all the feed back. I will probably make a purchase with-in the next two weeks.

Lesco has the same unit as the Trynex 575 and it sounds like the better deal.

Bob V