1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best rear tires for garden tractor, for plowing snow

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by sbt1, Dec 20, 2008.

1. sbt1

sbt1 Member

What are the best tires for plowing snow... I don't want to run chains and tear up the asphalt.

2. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

NO good tire for that

you need tire chain for that because that tractor without tire chain are useless.

How to not destroy is not try spin with chain on it.

What tractor are you talk about?

3. DEWFPO

DEWFPO Junior Member

I've used Ag tires on a 4WD tractor with good results even on steep, slippery slopes. If your plowing a flat driveway and have a 2WD tractor you may want to consider wheel weights and get the smallest width blade you can find so your not trying to push too much.

DEWFPO

4. Jdeerekid

Jdeerekid Member

your standard turf tires are going to be the best for ice on the drive. But are going to be pretty much useless without chains when plowing. If you have a snowblower you will be able to get away without chains as long as your drive is mostly flat. You will have to add weight to the rear also. I would recommend running chains just dont spin. They will not really damage the asphalt much if any.

5. CAT MAN

CAT MAN Member
    from county

I have have a 2305 JD we have the industrial tires on it and its 4wd, tires are loaded but we still run chain's on the back our driveway is step. really only use it for the finish work though works great.

6. sbt1

sbt1 Member

It's an old Allis Chalmers

Sounds like I am going to need to go with weights and chains... yeah I'll just be careful to minimize spinning.

7. FSUPERDUTY

FSUPERDUTY Senior Member

I don't know what kind of tractor you have but on my deere x585 I run HD field trax from carlise.I do have 4wheel drive but i don't use any weight or chains.prior to that I had a x475 which was 2wd and I put 6 suit case weights on the back it would plow a mountain of snow.no chains at all now with a big hill or ice that might be another story! ag tires are to hard! these tires are soft and bite reall well!

8. Jdeerekid

Jdeerekid Member

Yea the HDAP(Heavy duty all purpose) tires are nice. I forgot all about them. They are almost like a turf tire on steroids.

9. CAT MAN

CAT MAN Member
    from county

there more like a mud tire. LOL