1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best pushers ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Showmestaterida, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Showmestaterida

Showmestaterida Senior Member

Was wondering what everybody thought the best pushers were for skids/ loaders/tractors? Was wondering what people thought of the protech steel edge trip edge compared to the optisum, artics, boss ,metal pless ,hla's, etc . Seeing if anybody has first hand experience with the protech steel edges. Looks like metal pless seem to be getting popular on here and they seem to perform well. Not sure how they hold up in the long wrong .

2. Ieatsno

Ieatsno Junior Member

The protech sectional trip edge holds up extremely well ! , haven't seen one in the shop this year at all other than edge replacements but it isn't really as conforming to pavement dips as the Arctic 4 or 5 section, which is the worse as far as issues with the rubber blocks and the studs that hold them, the rubbers will snap in colder weather (in the teens) the studs that hold the rear of the rubbers snap off , very, very, very costly maintenance and you can not use the pusher for push back, bring it to the pile and stop! it has too much flex and will break, the only one who should be using that pusher is the money manger of the company, it will be in the shop just about every storm at a cost of 2-3 hundred per visit min. not including labor, as far as the others, i can not comment on.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  3. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

I have to agree with the last couple sentences, at least in my case. This is the first year I personally used the Arctic and had no issues but I own the company and took care in how to run the pusher. In previous years it was always torn up. if you've ever pushed with a trip edge pusher in a skid steer you know how "violent" the trips can be when you hit cracks of uneven pavement. You don't get any of that with the Arctic which I found to be probably it's best feature ( not saying it doesn't scrape good). I also found that you probably do not want to push back large frozen piles if you need to move them. The blocks will flex a lot. I just switch to my snow bucket or have my Avalanche's or Kages push back anything I can't.
    Thank god we got snow in Feb huh ? Hope things are going well.
    Steve

4. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

PS...If it becomes a money thing you may look at the Avalanche pushers. My 12 footer was priced good and works well. Dual section steel trip edge with floating side panels. I may look into buying an Optimus if there are year end deals just to try out and compare to the Arctic.
    Steve

5. PALS Landscapin

PALS Landscapin Senior Member

I have a couple Boss pushers and they work well for the money. I also have the protech and have to say it don't scrape as good as they say but that's my own opinion.

6. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

This was my first year with my HLA snow wing. I have 0 experience running a skid steer or a pusher before then. I found myself angling left when I wanted right, or swinging the wing I was moving back when I wanted forward, but that is just lack of experience on my part. Unfortunately, we had a crappy winter, so I only got to try it out twice. It worked without issues (other than above). The only thing I would like to change about my HLA, is that it has no float built into it and the float on my SV250 is almost useless. Other than that I liked it and I'm sure that with ample practice, it will become second nature and much more efficient.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  7. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Metal Pless hands down is the best pusher I have used....Scrapes second to none.....Have Used Protech and Artic and beats them both in scraping....We have 7 in varying size and they all have been Great....:drinkup:

This is just my opinion and im sure I will be told im full of S#$T...

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You're full of it......

9. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

I totally agree. Have used Protech for ten plus years. We now use two Metal Plessis box blades with Live Edge. Clients have noticed and appreciated.

10. Showmestaterida

Showmestaterida Senior Member

Been using boss pushers the last 2 years and looking for something that scrapes better. Seems the scrape ok and only in certain snows. Dont scrape like my plow trucks. Yes finally got some snow. The last 3 weeks saved us. Steve , what avalanche model did u go with? Hows it scrape compared to the sectional? U said u had no problems with the sectional since u used it and not employees . Well ive been really turned away from them hearing all the problems people have had with them. U think they are worth the $ and risk of breaking to purchase? Not trying to buy the cheapest. looking for the best scraping ability . Really thinking about the metal pless.

11. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

I own 3 boss pushers and 2 protech, I like the boss pushers. They scrape well and have held up well so far. This is my first year with them.

12. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Thanks for the post...I also am interested, 12 footer.

13. ShaneysLawnCare

ShaneysLawnCare Senior Member

What size Boss we have a 8' and I hate it with a passion BUT our 12's and 16's are absolutely amazing! I wont go with anything else! And as for the 8' we are switching it to a Boss angle blade with wings!

14. Mark Oomkes

I have 15+ years with ProTechs, darn good pushers if you want rubber edges.

I have 1 year with a 10' LiveBoxx and am EXTREMELY impressed. Virtually no wear to speak of. Did a great job on all our snowfalls this year. The customer was very impressed also. A 16' is still on my shopping list.

15. Defcon 5

I just think you are full of Baloney.................:drinkup:

Kidding aside....The wear and tear on ours was Very Little.....Don't let the price scare you...They are worth every penny.....:salute:

16. Mark Oomkes

Negative, I had tuna for lunch. Thumbs Up

Agreed on the rest.

PS It's "bologna".

17. fireside

fireside Senior Member

I replaced my pro tech pusher this year with a boss BX12. I have to say overall i'm very happy with it at about 100 hours on the box. They could make some design changes to make it work much better. It scrapes just fine in all snow conditions we have had the full everything but the kitchen sink storms. The biggest problem with the boss is it needs less curve to the top of the mold board. When the box fills with wet snow the snow lifts the box off the ground leaving some pack down. so you need to go over the area twice to scrape down to bare pavement. I have used a steel edge pro tech not worth the money at all no better than rubber at the end of the day. I have played with a artic but it seem like his box was always broken for the blocks in the sections. I have seen the live edge in person boy i was impressed but after pricing it out i just couldn't afford that much money. i would love to try one but the dealer is just to far away.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  18. Defcon 5

Like I have said a hundred times....Im a better Drinker than i am a speller/spiller......:drinkup:

19. Neige

Neige Sponsor

The dealer in Somers is maybe 90 minutes away, you can go and pick one up anytime and give it a try. Just let him know Paul sent you.Thumbs Up

20. Ty27

Ty27 Senior Member

Why don't you like the 8' box plow? We were thinking about buying one this summer. But seeing this, It's making me wonder.