1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

best push spreader?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Silverstreak, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Silverstreak

Silverstreak Senior Member

ok, im sure most of us have bad luck with these things, i prolly go through about 15 a year between all my guys

ive used everything from the cheapo 35 dollar all plastic broadcast spreaders from home depot up to the 425 dollar all stainless ones from lesco

no matter what they all rust, some faster than others, gears strip out & parts break from getting tossed in and out of the truck.....

im looking to order 10 new ones for this upsoming year, anyone have any suggestions on what works well and holds up the longest?

2. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

we use snowex speader

We have had good luck with the snowex spreader. They are durable and are tough. However, our guys do not throw them around in and out of the truck. They are not babied, but they are not abused by people who don't care. Not saying your guys don't care, but if they are a little conscious about getting them in and out of your trucks, I think you will like the spreader.

3. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

4. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

looking for broadcast or drop?

5. Silverstreak

Silverstreak Senior Member

broadcast, though i may give a drop spreader a try for some regular sidewalk sites

n yeah the ones i had, lesco or bigfoot/prizelawn spreaders look exactly the same as the snow ex, prolly made by the same people i cant justify spending 5000 on 10 spreaders

so i was looking for something in the 150-300 range, but looks like all ill have are those earthway ones in that margin

n yeah i agree if the guys are a little more careful theyd hold up just fine, and thats how the first few weeks start out...then between lazy people throwing them around & trying to get the spreaders in and out of the truck half full of calcium, they break

6. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

We use them, and yes they are the best.

You pay for quality once, and forget about it. What good is spending 300 bucks if you're replacing them yearly, or they dont work right?

It lays the product down where you want it, not into flower beds and on lawns.

They will pay for themselves in the first year only from the product you dont waste.

Mine are going on 10 years now.

7. integrityman

integrityman Member

The Epokena look only like a drop spreader. I looked at the Snowex website. No push spreaders.

Any other ideas?

8. xtreem3d

snow ex does have push spreaders..do a search if i find a link i'll post it

9. xtreem3d

10. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

11. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

Dont buy the meyer one! The HOT SHOT is HOT JUNK! didnt even make it through the first storm. Ive had the best luck with agri fab brand.

12. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

I want to try the salt dogg, though.

13. integrityman

integrityman Member

Thanks guys- I was actually hoping to find a dual purpose salt/ fertilizer spreader.....

14. cody_lick

cody_lick Junior Member

man tough decision which brand to buy i need to sit down one night with all the different option to compare and find the best

15. jlouki01

jlouki01 Senior Member

I use cheap earthway's. I order them from Gemplers.