1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best Push Spreader

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by plowman350, Sep 14, 2004.

1. plowman350

plowman350 Senior Member

Okay,
    As this is my first year plowing for myself, I'm sticking mainly to driveways of my lawn customers.
    I have only one commercial lot....VERY SMALL. You could probably squeeze 10 cars in the entire parking lot. So, rather than rush into a hopper this year, I'm going to do this one account with a push spreader. And the spreader will become my sidewalk spreader when I get a bit bigger. But, for now I'm spreading salt (not calcium) with a push spreader.

Let me know your favorite brands/models and why..,...there's lots for me to choose from and I'm trying to narrow it down.

Thansk!!

2. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I ran one of those organgrinder types and kinda liked it but makesure you put a lid on it or you will be eating lotsa salt dust. I actually found most times it was easier/faster to get a small bathroom thrash can or a 5 gallon bucket and stick in one arm and throw the salt with the other. That way destroyes gloves with leather though.

Make sure if you get a push preader to get one with the biggest rubber wheels you can so it actually gets traction on ice. This is the biggest thing, they are useless if the wheels dont turn on ice!

Most times I found it easiest to have a big tub in the back of the truck or trailer filled with rock salt and dump a bag of baged mag on top of that and shovel the close to 50/50 mix into the pail or spreader. Rock salt is cheaper and seems to have better "staying power" than bagged but the bagged melts better and colder.