1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best poly spreader?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Broncslefty7, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Broncslefty7

Broncslefty7 Senior Member

We have been doing snow for around ten years with old f550's and 350's with fisher straight blades and stainless electric sanders that we always have issues with. this year we picked up a new f350 diesel and put a boss straight blade on it. im looking to put a poly sander on it and have been doing a lot of research to no avail. the boss poly spreaders look decent but havnt really been tested yet and there are not many reviews on them either. we are also planning on buying two Ram 3500 diesels and putting boss DXT's V's on them. so all in all im looking for feed back on poly electric sanders because i am going to need to buy three of them this year and as of now im leaning towards the salt dog spreaders, it just worries me that the shutes may be a little low for a pick up that will be squating a little bit. any feed back would be greatly appreciated. also all of our lots are lets say medium sized commercial roughly 80-110 parking spaces.

Thank you

2. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Go snow ex

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Lots of reading on all the spreaders out there

4. Broncslefty7

i know ive been researching for a while now and they all seem to go round about. Blizz, Western, Fisher, all seem to be exactly the same. would never buy anything from meyer. ive had good luck with boss with the plows and dealer support seems pretty good i just havnt been able to dig up and reviews on them.

5. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

Salt doggs are great we run 2 of them a shpe2000 and a shpe1500, I run the shpe1500 on a dodge 2500 flatbed handles the weight well doesnt squat alot plus I got timbrens, the shpe2000 we had in a gmc 2500 pickup for yrs with no problems it squats a bit with timbrens but handles it fine. We have a short chute on the gmc and its at a good height when loaded, I got a extended chute on my dodge do to the flatbed being taller and is also at a good height when loaded

6. Broncslefty7

yeah, i havnt thought of adding timbrens to the new trucks. didnt think they would really need them

7. dodgegmc1213

Doesnt hurt to have them on both front and back. Maybe even airbags but I never delt with them

8. Broncslefty7

where does the short shute sit on a pickup? i wasnt aware that was an option

9. dodgegmc1213

On our gmc it sits just at the bumber step, at first we had the extension chute on it but we cut it down 3inches and when loaded we would just clear a curb by a hair, I bought my saltdogg it came with the short chute, before i put my flatbed on it was a pickup and it sat taller then the gmc so i took the long chute and it worked fine now with the flatbed it sits even taller so it works great now

10. Broncslefty7

sounds good, never owned an auger style spreader.

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

What material are you spreading?

How many tons a storm will they be expected to spread.

What are your average operating conditions? 30-20, 10-0 degrees??

What issues do you have with your electric over SS pintle chain hoppers?

12. Broncslefty7

we are spreading a 50/50 mix majority of the time

putting roughly 10-12 yards through per storm

usually in the its anywhere from 10-30 degrees

we have some down easter electric sanders that just dont move material very well, it takes 10-15 minutes parked in the shed to empty itself. along with corrosion and motors burning out. but all of my SS sanders have been on dump trucks, now that i will be putting sanders into pick ups i figured i could save on weight and other repair costs by going with the poly. plus everyone i see with a pick up is using poly over SS

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

These are pintle chain conveyors?

Do you have vibrators on your SS hoppers? If not add them, they make a world of difference.

You will not see a difference between SS and poly when it comes to electrical corrosion. The best you can do is CLEAN and protect regularly and disconnect the power at the battery when not in use.

That same motor is used by lots of people, depending on the source the quality of the motor changes.

Are you using a simple ON/Off switch with circuit breakers for protection? If so what amp breakers?

14. Broncslefty7

yeah they are pintle chain conveyors. no we are not using vibrators, we ar enot having an issue with corrosion as much as we are with motor bearings. even with a new electric motor in the sanders the chain just moves godly slow at least half the speed of a gas powered sander. its kind of ridiculous the amount of time it takes to do a single lot with them. but that was my grandfather who has been plowing snow since the 50's. i took over the company three years ago, i have three 9' boss straight blades and havnt had a single issue with any of them, so the quality is definently there, but like i said i cant find a single review on their spreaders. too bad salt dog and boss done have the interlocking covers, they seem like they could be useful.

15. Broncslefty7

Also basher i do not believe salt dog has a pintle conveyor option in their poly sanders. most likley going to purchase the boss bx-8000 purely out of dealer relationship.

16. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

My snow ex has lasted 9 years and last year spread 60/40 mix if sand and salt I have an additional vibrator on it and have had nj real issues with any if mine

17. Broncslefty7

yeah see the problem there is, theres no snow ex dealer anywhere near me.

18. dodgegmc1213

I believe they do have pintle conveyor in the poly sanders but I think they're just gas not electric

19. Broncslefty7

idk, the boss has a good warranty and they claim it will push through straight sand, so its gotta be tough. i guess we will just stick with one brand and see what happens. maybe the boss sanders will be rock stars

20. dodgegmc1213

They look impressive, if I had the money id buy one and try it. But then again if I had the money id do away with salters and go all liquid