1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

best plow

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by extremsnomobile, Dec 2, 2004.

1. extremsnomobile

extremsnomobile Member

wat is the best plow for a 2002 gmc 3/4 ton deisel? ive looked at teh x blade and blizzards

2. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

Boss 8'2" poly V, I have one on my 2002 GMC 2500HD Duramax and I love it. Best combo I've ever owned!

3. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

how does the duramax and that "weak" axle handle it...i'm gonna buy a crew or an extended cab diesel after the first of the year. on the western website for the diesel it says that it won't handle anymore than the 7'6. how has your experience been? i was thinking of a western V..how does the boss compare?

4. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

That "weak" axle handles it like a champ. And the great thing about torsion bars is that they can be turned up. In fact my dealer has directions from the factory on how to adjust the "bars" according to front axle load.... :p

5. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

any truck warranty problems or anything cause of the plow?

6. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

No, they are a smaller dealer and customer service is great. By the way I drive GMCs, those Chevy noses stink...

7. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

i'm with u on that one!!! GMC all the way!

8. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

I agree, my front end handles the plow like a champ, it only drops about3/4" and I don't even have timbrens. As for the Western V it looks to be a nice plow. I was considering it but you can't get it in a poly, and it moves slower than molasis. I think that my Boss V could move from a V to a scoop and back again by the time a Western V could move to a scoop position.

9. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Isn't that adjustable? I'm pretty sure my Boss has an adjustable throttle valve to control the speed, wouldn't the Western have the same?

Hmmm...

10. extremsnomobile

extremsnomobile Member

i would rather have a blizard because of the side wings. pluss it would be able to push more then a normall v scope

11. tuna

tuna Senior Member

In New England everyone has Fishers,easy to find parts and service.How many Blizzard dealers do you know of?

12. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

the 2500HD actually was built to the spec's of the K3500 single wheel design starting around '98 when they disappeared. So the axel should not be an issue. I've heard the billzard has maintance issues and requires an expensive rebuild every two years because of all the mechanical stuff that makes those 1 foot pull out wings/bucket.

Check out either the Boss or Sno-way.

13. extremsnomobile

extremsnomobile Member

like 1 thats not far from my house. and most people have curtis or fishers . but we are looking for soemtihng to plow for the town with and do some driveways. teh town wants a 9 foot min on the truck and we want a 8 foot max so with a blizzard it works out. and i can rebuild things on ym own pretty easily and thats not hard. plus im in highschool for welding so i can weld and make teh wings stay out in one pattern. and the design is pretty simple as for the wings and its only one or 2 hydrolic pistons for each weing no big deal

14. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

western's do have an adjustable "quill" that more or less is a throttle. I've seen guys running around with 8' 6" v plows on half tons so I'm guessing a diesel will be ok like every one says. The contractor I worked for last year ran blizzards and it seems like they take forever to lift. The wings are nothing great, v plows are much more suitable. Less parts to break, kinda hard to shear a 1" hardened pin.

15. extremsnomobile

extremsnomobile Member

im a welder and i can fix most things pretty easy and i no hydrolic guys that can boost any plow lift time. AND i dont want to have a huge plow jsut to work for the town
    with the blizzards i can havea 8 foot blade for the drive ways but i can also have a 10 for the streets

16. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

The adjustable quill on Westerns (and Fishers too) is to adjust drop rate not lift and on the reason Blizzard may take so long to lift, it may be the weight because it take more amps to do it quickly with more weight so it is slower as a compromise on battery drain and motor size and heating.

17. DJC

DJC Senior Member

Go with the 810 BLIZZARD!!!!!!!!!!! You will not be sorry if you get one. :waving:

18. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Not everyone like them as they are not the final word just like some like, Meyer or Fisher or Western or Boss or even Curtis. Myself I would never own a Blizzard as long as the hydraulic power pack is on plow A frame. You will never convince me that it will last as long there in the vibration and shock as it will on the head gear were vibration and shock is minimal by comparision. (or to be as easy to service either)

19. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I have a sno-way and the pump is all on the plow frame which raises and lowers constantly. It's now season 8 and the only issues I have had is a single piston wearing out. Otherwise, no issues with vibration etc. On a blizzard I have no direct experience however, I have talked with a shop who rebuilds them constantly.

20. extremsnomobile

extremsnomobile Member

im new to plowing my father has 20+ years in it. but could i runa genorator to boost amps? i mean being the aux. for teh firedepratment has tought me laot about genorators and i no they can give off alot of power