1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best plow truck

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Dansdad, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Dansdad

Dansdad Junior Member
    from Maine

Thanks for all the replies on this site. Its a big help to bounce ideas and equipment off the "men on the ground". We are now looking at an F350 2003 w/ the 7.3. FX4 pkg 8ft bed 54000 miles and a Boss 8ft V plow. Truck needs a little TLC (broken mirror,plate light etc.) The Plow is in great shape. $15,000 out the door. Looks to me like it would plow snow all day long and not break a sweat. Like to know what you think.

2. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

sounds kinda high but im a GM guy. a 2003 has the 7.3?? what year did they switch over to 6.0's???

3. Dansdad

Dansdad Junior Member
    from Maine

My understanding was that the 7.3 was an option for that year. We looked at an 06 GMC w/ the 6.6 no plow but had 60000 towing miles $20000. It is a lot tougher than I thought it would be givin the state of the economy and fuel prices to find a good truck. Bad time of year to buy as well I guess. Even my banker said that dealers are giving them away to get rid of them. I told him "not so" around here any way. The Ford started out at 19,000.

4. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

how about a picture buddy? might help on some feed back on this truck

5. Dansdad

Dansdad Junior Member
    from Maine

You bet .I will try and get a picture up once I learn the ropes how to. I was just talking with my son about getting some pics of our stuff up. We really enjoy looking at others equipment and reading about how they use it and the good and the bad things about it.

6. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Price sounds good. I paid a lil more for my d max but mine had less miles a year newer and no plow. A pic would be good. Also ck that oil pan. Even an 03 could be getting bad. U could get either a 6.0 or a 7.3 In 03. It was the last year for the great 7.3.

7. Dansdad

Dansdad Junior Member
    from Maine

Thanks to all,we did check the oil pan. It looks good. My 93 has been replaced twice but the 7.3 keeps on ticking, its been a great truck and I feel pretty comfortable getting another with 54000 miles on it. I may be able to get pics up this weekend if we go ahead with the purchase. Gotta put up some sand, replace the pump on the Fisher plow,tweak the sander, pile some wood,set up the tire chains, plow baby plow!!!!

8. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

if you want an oasis report pm me with the vin

9. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Early 03' was the 7.3L diesel late 03' was the 6.0L diesel. The 03' 6.0L was crap, by 04' they started getting it figured out. You won't go wrong with a 7.3L it was a great motor. It was bullet proof, but under powered. The weak spot of the 7.3L was the tranny. It was a good tranny but to many people bitched about how hard it shifted because they were a bunch of Nancy girls buying a WORK truck to carry their briefcase and Ford lightened the flywheel and shift points for a softer, weaker shift. If you get a 7.3L change the torque converter and put in a shift kit. Chip it and you will have a bullet proof hard working truck with great power. If you get a 6.0L make sure it is a late 04' and don't CHIP it! If you chip it you can plan on rebuilding the engine. I have owned both and would take my 6.0L any day over my 7.3L. I wasn't unhappy with my 7.3L after I did the tranny work and chipped it, but my 6.0L with just changing the intake and exhaust runs circles around my 7.3L