1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best plow truck

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by Dansdad, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Dansdad

Dansdad Junior Member
    from Maine

We finally got our first commercial plow contract, 3 gas stations. We have the 1993 7.3 w/9ft plow and sander. I am looking at a second truck both as a daily driver and back up for the 93. We have looked at several trucks and would like your thoughts. We are now at a 2001Ford reg cab w 7.3 and 8ft mm 99.000 miles. $14,000 out the door. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

2. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

I loved my 97 f350 powerstroke. Great plow truck. Just make sure u keep up on the oil pan If u notice rust spots. That has been the best plow truck so far. I have not yet been able to try my duramax yet so my vote is for a 7.3 f 350. Dont get me started on a 6.0.

3. Dansdad

Dansdad Junior Member
    from Maine

Thanks for the feed back. Our local mechanic said that after he looked at it that it may not be to long before it would need replacement. Big repair I guess. The truck seems strong and tight but was on the coast and has had some rust repair. This is our first plow contract so we hope for the best. Another truck is a major expense obviously but I want to make sure that we can take good care of this contract.

4. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

If u find something else, post it on here u will get lots of feedback for sure. But post it in the Equipment,Tools, & Vehicle Pictures forum.Only truck I would not buy Is a 04 or newer ford and some 03s .And I like fords.

5. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

can't beat a 7.3. $14,000 seems kinda steep though. i was just at the dealer auction in akron ohio and saw a 2001 f-350 7.3 4x4 reg cab with a stull utility bed on it had 146,000 miles on it go for $5100. . make sure you upgrade the transmission cooler on that 7.3 if you get it, put the biggest one on it you can. that's a weak link on the fords not enough transmission coolong capacity. later, pete

6. F250 Boss v

F250 Boss v Senior Member

Right now at cars.com there is an F350 7.3 with 66,000 for $17,500, no plow. Might want to do a quick check on that site, might find something at a little lower price or even with a plow. Good luck!

7. Dansdad

Dansdad Junior Member
    from Maine

Thanks for all the replys .We have found another truck and I will post the particulars on the equipment,tools forum.