1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best Plow / Truck setup for Residentials

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snow4me, Nov 18, 2008.

1. snow4me

snow4me Senior Member

I'm doing residential plowing this year and so far I've got 9 large driveways and one 1/2 miles private road signed up and proposals out on 15 more. I bought a 1992 Chevy Silverado Z71 shortbed (117" wheelbase) truck thinking that it would be manuverable enough but now that I've got my plow (Sno-way 29 7.5foot) attached some of my drives look like they are going to be a pita. I just bought a 1996 Cherokee Sport with only 84,000 miles on it for my 16yo stepdaughter and changed all the fluids and gave it a full tune-up and installed a tornado. Damn these 4.0 inline 6's pull strong...now I'm thinking about taking my Cherokee back and putting a Snoway 26 series 6',8" with lexan blade on it so I can do the tight driveways quicker and take on more accounts. What do you guys think about this setup and what would be yor ultimate "best residential plowing rig"? Heres' a link to a used plow available locally, how much would it cost to buy the correct mount for a Cherokee and do you think it will be a nice rig for driveways?
    http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/for/918109347.html

2. RamPainting LLC

RamPainting LLC Senior Member

Easiest residential plowing I've done was in a Jeep Wrangler, solid front axle with a 4L straight 6, 7' Myers! Unstoppable! Even in the heavy wet New England snow.

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The Cherokke has too many windows that will fog up. IMO
    A Wrangler is one of the best driveway machins. But your truck will work very well also.

4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Hydro 37 is right Wrangler is best Cherokee is good.

5. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I really like my Dodge setup.

6. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

friend of mine quit using trucks & does it with his ventrac 4wd mower-has a cab on it, & talk about visibility & turning around capabilities! plows it out & moves on to the next one- of course he has alot in the same neighborhood- puts it on the trailer & goes to the next neighborhood. stacks as many as possible in each neighborhood

7. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

Your Silverado should do just fine. I would stick with what you have, I think you'll find it works after you go out a couple of times.

8. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

The best residential truck I've seen is ff1221's. Can be seen at 'Canadian weather +++++snow' thread, a pull plow and Blizzard on a GM shorty

9. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

The best residential truck I've seen is ff1221's. Can be seen at 'Canadian weather +++++snow' thread #2065, an Arctic pull plow and Blizzard 760 S/W on a GMC 1500 shorty

10. JBMiller616

JBMiller616 Senior Member

I do a lot of narrow drives and small lots. I use a 07 Ram 2500 Reg Cab with a 8.5' Fisher. It's a PITA in some spots but it get the job done pretty well.

11. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Use what you have -- that short bed pickup is going to great for most applications, and you'll get a feel for what you can or can't get into with it. I "learned" plowing in my own truck with an extended cab short bed, which obviously isn't the WORST truck to have for driveways, but it's a good bit longer than the Tahoe I bought 5 years later. I think the great visibility you'll have with the pickup (take the tailgate off unless you need it) compared to the Cherokee will make your setup among the best going. Good luck!

~Kevin

12. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

Jeep wrangler w/cplow or snow-way, short bed/ no ext cab/with 7'-6" w/ back drag. Plowmeister has a great set-up jmo

13. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

My first plow truck was a CJ-7 with a 7 foot plow. It was very nimble and plowed tight spots with ease. My Bronco is also a great driveway machine for tight spots with its turning radius being so small. But stick with what you have and it will be fine. Just get to know it's limitations.

14. MAR4CARS

MAR4CARS Senior Member

We run an S10 blazer with a plow on it for tight areas.

15. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

I have high hopes for my Wrangler this year. we'll see how it works out

16. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Ya your truck sould work just fine, get a 7.5' plow for it.

17. snow4me

snow4me Senior Member

I see the resident Jack$@# just showed up to offer his opinion. If you would read before spouting off you would notice that I have a 7.5" plow on my rig already.

To all you all others offering very good insightful opinions thank you they are much appreciated. I'm going to give it a go with my current rig but I'm now up to 12 large residentials and I've got 15 more proposals out yet and I know I'm getting at least 3 more for sure. Talked to a local guy who has been plowing drives in this area since 1996 and he said he got 3 per hour done when he was starting out and now he's up to four. He's only got 10 small accounts so far this season so if I take on too much work he said he'll sub for me. My question now is if I'm getting say $40 for a drive how much should I keep and how much should I offer to pay him (he'll be using his own equipment).

18. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

those must be huge driveways! when I was plowing a couple years ago, I could do an average drive and do a damn good job in less than 10 min

19. snow4me

snow4me Senior Member

The drives are long and the lots are huge so there's travel time involved between estates. This is Barrington Hills Illinois...horse country for wealthy Chicagoans. Minimum home sites are 5 acres.

20. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I was thinking the distance between his drives is probably significant. Many of mine are in clusters -- 5 or 6 in one area, as much as 11 in another, and so forth.