1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best plow truck for commercial and residential plowing?h

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Wolverinesfan1, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Wolverinesfan1

Wolverinesfan1 Junior Member

Hi guys. Just wanted some experienced sound advice. I'm currently using a 14' Silverado half-ton with snow plow prep with 7Ft 2015 boss. Has heavy duty front ranchero shocks and nice set up for plowing. It actually plowed really well in a lot of bad storms this year in Northern Michigan, even with wet heavy snow (Didn't go sideways much at all) . I know I need to go to a 3/4 ton with plow package having 20 accounts now and some being commercial. My truck is just too damn nice and on smaller side for plowing those many accounts. What is the best year make and model to plow with and why? What truck has the best transmission ever made for plowing you think? I want to run an 8' Vboss or 7'6 boss vplow with back blade. I loved using a back blade with an older set up I had. Please let me know what you guys think. I appreciate the feedback

Jeff Nothelfer owner /operator

MowsquitoTech

2. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

It comes down to opinion and personal preference more than anything else. If you're a chevy guy buy another chevy and roll on with it. Each truck manufacturer has its good and bad and its only a matter of time till something breaks. As far as the plow goes, Boss is a solid make. Do you have a dealer near you? Like trucks at some point you'll need parts and having a dealer close by is necessary in my opinion. You dont want to be driving an hour to get a cylinder, wiring harness, etc in a storm. I know that might be a bit of a vague reply but like I said, a lot of it is personal preference. Good luck and Go Blue

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Full size Ford Bronco or Chevy Blazer, perhaps even the Power Wagon equivalent

Full size truck short wheelbase and the power to push

4. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

You got a 14 GM 1/2 ton beefed up some. If its working for you why change. I agree with a 3/4 or 1 ton. If your looking for a new truck the GM HD duramax allison are a good combo. Real good resale.

5. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Pick the flavor of truck you prefer. Make it a one ton with a diesel, long bed (better yet is a flat bed) regular cab. Put good tires on it. Put your favorite brand out front either in a Vee or expandable, 9' though. Hang something expandable out back, 14-16'.

I spent 12hrs in our truck like that (I usually drive a loader) and give me a few more nights in it and I'll give anyone a run for their money - you can flat out get work done in that.

IMO, the diesel gives you more than enough power so that you don't abuse the truck, same thing with the one ton, added spring in the back.

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

3724.gif

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  7. NThill93

NThill93 Member

go drive all 3 brands of HD trucks and pick what you like best
    find all the plow dealers by you and find the best service/price

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Subscribed...........and running oot for some :drinkup: to wash down my :popcorn:

9. triplestrokes

triplestrokes Junior Member

Personally i run an 01 F350 regular cab with an 8' flatbed. Buyers vbox, 210 snow ex for parking garages and a Wideout. Works great for me.

10. Wolverinesfan1

Thanks man! Sounds like solid advice to me. We do have an awesome boss dealer in the city. I live in Traverse City so we have a lot of people actually for being so far north : ) . A guy who works on transmissions I just spoke to said " the guys who change their tranny fluid every year I will hardly ever see, those who don't I see more frequently. He said it really does make a huge difference getting you tranny fluid changed each year.

11. Wolverinesfan1

Right on. Ya I think regular cab and taking off tailgate and just sliding in a 2x4 so stuff doesn't slide out is best for visibility and regular cab for more room to maneuver.

12. Wolverinesfan1

I appreciate that. Well it's beefed up because of the factory snow plow prep package. But even with larger engine option and ranchero heavy duty springs and shocks, it only allows for an 7"ft plow on it cuz truck is just overall smaller. That's too much back and forth and not enough pesos for the time haha. Thanks for the advice fellas!

13. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

One of the greatest all around plow vehicles has to be the old K5 Blazers and Jimmys! I used to plow with them!

14. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

Start with a 1 ton then go from there. Takes a lickin and keeps on tickin

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  15. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Super Duty.

16. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Why a diesel, exactly?

17. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

The best plow trucks ever. I miss my 1979 K5 and 1990 Blazers with Chevys 350 in them. I also pushed with a few old full size Broncos with 302 and 351.

You asked what is the best, these are.

18. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Foolishness to say a 38 year old truck is the best for commercial plowing.

Go buy a leftover 2016 Super Duty in September. Ford will be absolutely giving them away because of the rollout of the "all aluminum" 2017. You will then have the best plow truck. And the gas engine is all you will need to plow. If you will tow over 8k pounds, then consider a diesel.

19. 1olddogtwo

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?p=2118513#post2118513

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=166464

Don't have these problems with a 38-58 year old truck

20. 1olddogtwo

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?p=2118513#post2118513

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=166464

Don't have these problems with a 18-38-58 year old truck