1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

best plow to use with a 2005 f-350

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jeff113113, Feb 3, 2010.

1. jeff113113

jeff113113 Junior Member

I been in lawn and landscape for years, and now want to get into snow plowing. I've used bobcats for years but now want to get a plow for my truck. Some people are telling me to get a meyer but i wanted to see your suggestions and is 8.5 the best size plow

2. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

First off, there will be many opinions to follow of people stating brand names without reasoning.

I would go to your nearest truck/equipment center & get whatever is most popular in your area. I run all fisher plows (on my trucks) because this particular model came with xpandable wings enabling to push snow distance wise without major trail-off. It also has more down pressure from its weight, than any other plow brand.

3. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

This really depends on your budget. If your budget isnt too low, I would go for the fisher XPS plow or the Blizzard 810. Those are both very good plows and i have heard that they are more time saving than a V plow, but do not know first hand, just what i have read. If you wanted a different option i would go for a fisher Vplow. I might be loyal to fisher because i have always had them, but they seem to be the best made more rugged and most reliable.
    If you didnt want any of those plows (they are very heavy) Then i would reccomend a fisher 9 foot X-blade. My father has the SS x-blade and that thing is awesome, everything about it is better built than my fisher HD. I would say that 9ft is the perfect size for plowing. I plowed with an 8 footer for 3 years and this year moved up to a 9 foot and it is SOO much better. clears places faster and also gets the snow out past the tires when the plow is fully angled, where the 8 foot doesnt quite do that and the tires of the truck run into what you have pushed over, this creates it to pack down and pull snow back into what you have already plowed. The 9 is also a LOT easier to push back snowbanks off to the side without driving through the snowbank. I love my 9 foot and there has not been a problem so far on it being too big, and i plow some REALLY tight places.
    I reccomend the fisher plows because only the trip edge folds back when you hit something and you can just keep on plowing, whereas most of the competition has the entire plow flip foreward and then you have to back up and plow that area again.
    Just my two cents :nod:

4. plow this

plow this Junior Member

I agree there is a meyer dealer 1/2 mile from my house and meyer are pretty popular in central ohio. Mabey not the best plow on the market but sure is nice to have parts and service right around the corner. Nothing beats a BOSS!!!!!!!!!

5. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Dealer support is VERY important. You will be fine with any of the major brands (BOSS, fisher, hiniker, western, blizzard) as long as you have local support. I have looked at a few Meyer and they look like bottom of the barrel, I would not buy one for commercial work.
    Best thing to do is spend some time using the search on here then go talk to the local dealers.
    We have a 8.5 boss on our 09 F-350 and for a straight blade I think it is about the best size.
    Welcome to the site.
    Robert

6. awhauling

awhauling Junior Member

I agree that you want to make sure that you have local dealer support on what you buy. I currently run 2 snoways 1 meyer and 1 western. My prefrence is depending on what im plowing at the time. For big commericial lot my snoway rev on my f450 or my snoway v on ff350 is best, for smaller lots the meyer or western straight blades with wings on f 250's. I think you need to look at your applications before you purchase. If your plowing res. driveways or loading dock that require back dragging you may look into down presure on the snoways. Good luck

7. jeff113113

jeff113113 Junior Member

Thanks everyone

8. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Dealer support is top priority for sure. You also need to think about what kind of plowing you will be doing. If you are doing roads, a straight blade is probably best. If you are doing driveways and/or lots a v-plow or power plow or straight blade plow with wings would be best. Etc etc. Also put a plow or pusher on your skid steers.

9. jeff113113

jeff113113 Junior Member

I'll be doing roads. Also what size should be used on a f-350. i heard 8.6 because 9 is too heavy and some say that 9 is perfect for this truck

10. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

81/2 is plenty. That truck could handle a 9 footer with no problem but IMO go with the 8 1/2!

11. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

whats your front axle rating? most mfg's websites have a truck-plow application where you enter your info and shows compatible products.

Since meyers are produced here locally, the dealer and parts support is excellent. Many large commercial fleets run meyers because they are inexpensive and said parts support. I was just at one of the local davey yards, they "merged" with a local company, and there were maybe 15-20 meyer blades being prepped for this winter.

12. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

don't get a meyer!! i did for one of my trucks!! big mistake!!! don't do it!! go boss!!

13. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I would go for a 9' plow. With my 8'6" V's, I usually end up running over the snow I just plowed when I go around a corner. You probably won't be going around any turns as sharp as a driveway, but if you do then you will have less cleanup. Make sure you put a lot of weight in the back, and you should be fine.

14. kmzlawncare

kmzlawncare Junior Member

Go with Boss if you can. You can't go wrong with THE BOSS.

15. towpro570

towpro570 Senior Member

call JIM @ ESI they are in MANASSAS VA and they are a sponsor her on PLOW SITE :salute:

16. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

You should check with whoever youre going to be plowing for because most towns or cities will not let you plow for them with anything less than a 9ft plow.. And as for the 9 foot being too heavy, it is only slightly more weight than an 8.5

17. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

I plow roads with my truck. It has a 8.5 Fisher on it. Works just fine.:drinkup:

Here is a short video clip of it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU30SsIDy5w

I will have more videos in the next 48hr. Cuz we are getting 12-18in tonight and all day Saturday. So if you want to see anything let me know i will make sure to have it in the video. But let me know in the next 4-5hrs cuz i will be out by then.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  18. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

personally if you are doing roads i would go with a heavy duty plow. fisher straight blade i think would be the way to go. you will destroy a meyer plow on roads

19. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

yeah Im not saying that it cant be done with something smaller than a 9 foot, but many places require at least a 9 because it is that much more efficient, and they want to pay the trcuks that have the most effeciency.. they would rather have to pay the person with the 9 foot versus the 8 ft..

20. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

This is true. But i know were i plow the contractor (my Uncle) Doesn't really care what size plow you have. We have 1 guy with a 7.5 footer.

Just so you know the township we plow for has no snow removal stuff. So all the snow work is subbed out. Which my uncle has had the contract for the past 12years.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010