1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

best plow for us

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Kerry38, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Kerry38

Kerry38 Junior Member
    from Texas

This is my first time here so be gentle with me. We are an HOA/Country Club community in North Texas. We are hilly with 26 miles of private roadways. We dont get a lot of snow, mostly ice, but when we do our slide in sander does nothing. After this last snow event I have finally convinced capitol hill to allow me to purchase a plow. Considering a "v" type but looking for advice. We will be mounting on a 2013 2500 HD 4X4. My budget is 5000.00. Any advise would be great. Also any how to vids on installation would be great. Looks like around 800.00 for install. Last question, I would really like to keep my grill guard on. Is that a possibility? Thanks.
  2. NortheastSNO

NortheastSNO Member

Are you going to do other plowing besides the road... if not a v plow may be over kill ( I know Im going to get scolded for that). A 8-1/2 or 9 Foot straight blade will work fine. As to leaving your grill on I would say that 99.9% of all snowplows manufactured today do not require removing any factory parts.

5000 grand could get you a nice new fisher, western, Meyers, snowdogg or whatever you choose.

as far as videos of installation just visit plow manufacture website they are promoting how easy they are to install.

$800.00 for installation is not worth it, if you are somewhat mechanically incline you could set up and install whole plow in less than a day. We do it in about 3 hours start to finish.

Good luck
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  3. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I plow about 5miles of private/HOA roads, I have both V and Straight blades and given you’re location/snowfall amounts a straight blade will do the job with no problem.
    Go for a full trip 9’ blade and add a set of Buyers Pro Wings to it which will get you close to 11’ wide. You will see a decent amount of wear on the cutting edge plowing 26miles, I plow my roads around 15-20mph which creates heat and wears the cutting about 3/16” per push. That may seem like a lot but it is what I’ve seen for an average the 4 years I’ve been plowing these roads. At the wear rate I’m seeing you’d see just over 7/8” of cutting edge wear per plow. You can buy expense harden edges or go with a Poly/Urethane edge but I’d suggest having beads hard face welding rod laid down on the face cutting edge. This process is used on excavating equipment and loader buckets to help mitigate wear.
    As far as brand goes Western, Fisher, Meyer and Boss all would be the weapons of choice (not in that order), but most importantly buy what is supported locally.

If you have a Ranch-Hand (or similar) Grill Guard you’re probably going to have to remove it, I have one of their bumpers on my ’08 Ford and if I wanted to put a plow on it the bumper would have to go.

Your budget may be a little on thin side given where you're at, meaning there's probably not a lot of competition for selling plows in north Texas.
  4. Kerry38

Kerry38 Junior Member
    from Texas

Thanks for the advice so far. I just hate to have to pull my "cow pusher" off to install a "snow pusher"! Just looking on various factory sites I dont think my truck is rated for a 9' blade.
  5. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I refer to my bumpers as Deer Slayers and understand where you’re coming from.

The best way to determine what blade you can hang off the front is look at the door tag and it will tell you what axle rating you have (4400#,4800#,etc….). You should be able to go to any of the manufactures sites and put in your truck info to their “plow selector” and any plow they offer for your truck will pop up. From what I’ve found is if you have a 4800# front end you can stick a 9’ blade with no ballast or truck mods done. Also a Boss 9’ Steel Super Duty weighs about 50# more than the 8’ version. I won’t fret over 50#’s.
    Also you said you had a slide in sander, do you mean a “V” box spreader? If so this is considered ballast and with that weight you can run a heavier plow out front.
  6. mud

mud Senior Member

Go for the biggest strait blade your truck is rated for that you can get support for locally. Being that your plowing roads and don't have to carry the snow anywhere nor will you have to bust big drifts or deal with deep snow a v blade is unnecessary. A set of wings will greatly increase your width and if you get into a situation where you need to carry the snow to a location (think parking areas) will aid with that as well.