1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best plow for res. driveways

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by dyinc, Nov 24, 2013.

1. dyinc

dyinc Junior Member
    from Iowa

I am looking at putting a new plow on my 2012 F250 for residential driveways and wanted recommendations on brands and styles.
    I was looking at a Hiniker and someone mentioned the C plow - but someone mentioned that snow flows over when you are dragging it back.
    I already have a straight which I like and just got a v plow for a commercial lot for one of my guys... but this plow is for my truck and i am just going to be doing driveways.

2. mark268

mark268 Member

If you have both a straight and V, shouldn't you already know which will work better for you in the drives you clear? I'm a little confused as to why you even posted this question.

3. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

a rear pull plow is the best hands down

4. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

x2 xysport

5. dyinc

dyinc Junior Member
    from Iowa

I just bought a v plow this yr for one of the trucks have not used yet... I was asking bc the dealer thought the c plow would be best and I have no experience with it

6. andersman02

andersman02 Senior Member

we got a 8" straight blade on a 98 chevy 2500 this year strictly for residential work and a backup. The 8.6Vee was just a pinch big with the F350. This "new" truck should be much more maneuverable, most likely we will get a hinged backdrag

7. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Yup Thumbs Up

8. SD40T2

SD40T2 Member

hope so I just bought 1

9. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I back drag with my V plow it does ok.
    That C plow is design for back dragging.
    If you was comparing a Vplow and a C plow and contest was on a driveway. The C plow would win.

I don't own a C plow but watching youtube, I can see that its better at back dragging.

10. mark268

mark268 Member

I have never used a C. I have a back blade, absolutely love it for my resi's. Cut time down 50%.

11. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

C plows take too long to fold down, you will probably never use it. Get a straight blade with a hinge style back drag.

12. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

X2

Because he doesn't sell back blades.

X3:laughing:

In the budget for next year, what did you get?

13. SD40T2

SD40T2 Member

bought a slightly used Snowman model 70 VERY cheap for my Dakota, 7' Curtis on front best resi rig I have ever owned now just waiting for this storm to try it out the pull plow

14. sthoms3355

sthoms3355 Member
    from Detroit

Go with the "C" Plow. We have three. They do take a little longer to fold over but much worth what they can do. You can pull a lot more snow back (with box ends) than a straight blade with backblade edge, you can reach over high drifts near garage doors (where a straight blade will push the snow 12" or so higher against the door), and it scrapes really clean. Even with packed down snow, you back drag the drive a few times and reach pavement.

15. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

Snoway with down pressure for sure! Set up correctly they backdrag great.
    Then again I'm not sure the size or shape of the driveways you are doing but a full size pickup is tough for drives around here. IMHO

16. plowman1984

plowman1984 Member

I would say get a SnoWay 29R, The down pressure is a must have