1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best plow for me?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by RedneckPlowGuy, Oct 17, 2006.

1. RedneckPlowGuy

RedneckPlowGuy Senior Member

Hey guys, i tried using the Boss truck app. chart but it didnt work, so im asking here now. I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 with the Cummins Diesel. I would like to have a V plow but i dont really see a use for it right now as the biggest snow ive seen here is not much over a foot. I am only looking to do residential the first couple of years. Anyone know which plow would fit me best?

2. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

8' western pro plus. One of these best plows you can buy. Expect years of trouble free service from one.

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

An 8.5 or 9.5 BOSS straight blade or a 8.5 or 9.5 BOSS V-plow with timbrens.
    One of the best plows you can buy. Expect years of trouble free service.

4. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

BOSS..no doubt about it. I put your truck info on the Boss website as a '01 Ram, Cummins, Shortbed, Quad cab....dont know if thats what it is or not but they say you can put up to a 9 footer on there. That includes the 8'2" V....

5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Any straight blade should be fine, I personally like a trip edge vs. a full trip plow. The Fisher X blade or even the Boss straight blade with a trip edge would make a great plow and last for years to come if cared for. Good luck.

6. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

the reason that bosses site would not suggest a plow for your truck is with the diesel and a plow you will be over the front axle weight rating. many people here including me are over the front axle weight rating, me by only about 200-300 lbs. i put about 1000 lbs of ballast behind the rear axle to help balance the truck out.
    a good all around plow for you would be a 8'2" boss v plow. not to big but not too small and gives you the ability to carry a good amount of snow in the scoop. there is alot of info on v-plows if you search. :)

7. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

Id go with the 8'2 boss v, Thats all we run, we've run them for years and if they where junk, we wouldent have them. If you've run a v-plow, you'll never want to go back to a strait blade.

8. Dakotaplowboy

Dakotaplowboy Member

If you only plan on doing residential for the first couple of years why not just go with a western pro, it is less weight then the pro plus, and would help with the front end, timbrens would be a help also. It would cost less initially, and you could always trade up down the line. There is a lot of demand for good used plows out there. That is just my opinion, but you know what they say about opinions!!

9. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

8'2" V on my 3500 and love it!!