1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best plow for me?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by HereToLearn, Aug 16, 2004.

1. HereToLearn

HereToLearn Member

Yep, another newbie to the biz. I did some searching to no prevail. I have a 94 dodge ram 2500 4x4 that I will be doing some residential plowing with this year. What size plow do I need to be looking at? I believe a 9.2 ft plow would be too big. Is an 8ft plow the norm? Do i NEED a v--plow for residential use? what are the benefits of V plows? Thanks guys and sorry for giving you such an intermediate quesiton that you've probably answered a jillion times. :blush2:

2. HereToLearn

HereToLearn Member

Also, how much can you expect to pump into a plow setup? New and Used. I will not be using a spreader. I'll be salting by hand, or just use my fert spreader for drives and walks.

3. thundercat99

thundercat99 Senior Member

If your plowing just residentual you could get by with the standered 7.5 blade if you are planning on getting into comercial later i would go att least 8ft if you stay with a strait blade i would go 8.5 If you want to get fancy blizzard 8-10

4. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Iam no expert but you could do residential very well with and 8' or 8'5" straight blade. V plows have their advantages, easier to stack in the scoop position, can carry alot of snow, easyer to bust through hardpacked snow at the end of the drive in V position and very beneficial in commercial situatuions. Personally I would get a straight plow 8'5" probly. If this is your first year plowing you don't have to drop the extra $ for a v plow especially if your doing residential. Also running the v plow is not complicated but harder to get to know than a straight plow, if this is your first year running a business and plowing i would not want the added stress of trying to operate a v plow. The first time I plowed was in 2000 so i learned it pretty good around my driveway. When i was old enough to legally plow i started plowing for other people, the first storm was hard, i had to get used to plowing drives that i was not used to, and I Know if i had a v plow to operate id have been completely lost. Not saying a v is that hard to use i did use one once but it is another thing to worry about learning in an alredy stressful situation. Just my opinion, you may find it very easy to jump right in and get started with a V plow or other more complicated equipment. By the way it sounds like you have a nice truck ext cab or regular? I have always liked the 90's Rams, the only weak link may be the transmission but mabe not as much of an issue with a 2500? Good luck getting started this year, hope we get tons of snow!!

5. HereToLearn

HereToLearn Member

awesome answers guys. i really appreciate them.

I have done very little plowing in the past, so a straight blade is probably where I would start. LIke many, I run a lawn care/landscaping business. I also attend college (2 years left). I would like to slowly take on a few residential accounts to get used to it again, then if all goes well I can really start to advertise for plowing. You guys answered all my questions except for the pricing. How much did you guys put into your first plow setup?

Also, I have a problem with my tranny right now. When I go from park to drive, it hesitates. Will plowing totally kill it? Is my 2500 all set to go as far as coils, springs, tims etc?

6. cja1987

$3500 for a new plow installed, it gets lower as you look at used plows 1000 to 2500 depending on the condition and what kind of plow it is. That 3500 is for an average straight plow V's and blizzard 810 would be more expensive maybe closer to or just over 4000, does depend on location though. Used plows can be a great buy and a perfect fit or a pain in the ass! sometimes its just the plow and you need to have it installed plus find and pay for a truckside mount and all the wiring. Sometimes a guy sells used plows out of his house for a second job and installs them too. My cousin just got a used fisher RD 7"6' for his truck from a guy in Maine, he had all the wiring, went out of his way to find a mount for the truck and even installed it all for a grand total of $1900. Quite a bit of money saved on a damn nice plow that works great. However finding this kind of used plow "salesman" is rare.

7. cja1987

2500 will hold the plow, i would get an aux trans cooler and a trans temp gage if your worried about the tranny. No plowing should not completely kill it just be careful and know what you should and should not plow. I payed 3400 for my plow installed.

8. HereToLearn

HereToLearn Member

curtis, when you say you paid 3400 for your plow installed, what all does it include. what stays ON the truck when you remove the plow? just the mounting hardware? (another dumb question, and i have no idea what the technical terms are for anything)

9. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Its funny how everyone always tries to put someone in the biggest plow possible without finding out what type of plowing they are really doing. I know he said residential, but is that rural or city residential? If i were to use anything bigger than an 8' on my residential i would be tearing up lawns and riping down fences. Bigger is not always better.

H.T.L. - $3400 would cover installing the mount, the wiring harness and building the blade/hanging the blade. When you pick your truck back up, its ready to plow.
    The mount and underhood wiring will stay on the truck when the plow is not attached.
    Make sure your dealer has parts on hand, can file warranty calims directly (some sub dealers can not) and is willing to get repairs into the shop and not leave them sitting until they have time.

10. fisher42

fisher42 Banned

first year plowing residential?? go with the 7.5 man

11. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'd say straight blade for residential. You could use a 7.5', but with a 2500, I'd get an 8'. I just priced a 9' Fisher today and got quoted $3800+ for everything - installed and ready to go. I really just wanted a new moldboard, but it was going to be $3500. Unbelievable!!!

12. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

7.5 or 8 ft im likeing curtis more and westerns

13. cja1987

Installed means set up and redy to plow, all lights, wiring, mount, etc. Almost everything comes off the truck when the truck is not being used for plowing. Just a small undercarriage mount remains on the truck. Also check out the websites of the plow manufacturers, all web sites have good info on their mounting systems. Its real easy to attach/remove a plow.

14. Tony Bonventre

Tony Bonventre Sponsor

Personally, I would shop around a bit for prices, then can vary from place to place sometimes by quite a bit. Just keep in mind that if the installer is not certified by the manufactuer you may void your warrenty. Just remember as being new in this business things are going to break, it could happen on your first driveway or 100th driveway but things are going to break.

15. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

You guys forgot to mention one other thing - go with a dealer that is close / convenient. Meyers are the choice plows around here. I can get parts just about anywhere. There is only one Blizzard dealer, and he isn't very close. Westerns and Fishers are better, but not like Meyer. Point being, see what everyone else is running in your area. That should give you an idea of what to get.

16. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

fix that tranny before the snow flys or you are going to be out there middle off the night with a broke truck and snow piling up.

17. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

With a 2500 go for at least an 8 ft plow. Better get that tranny checked out. You don't want to get stranded in a storm. Good luck and happy plowing!;)

18. HereToLearn

HereToLearn Member

WOW

Guys, you have answered almost every question I have ever had about plowing. Very informative and detailed. I really appreciate it. I guess now I need to start pricing plows, looking at getting my tranny fixed, and find a dealer that is dependable, certified and willing to get me in and out and back out there moving snow.

Now, lets talk accessories. I will need a yellow light. That's all I know. What else do I need for safety/legal measures? Special mirrors, rear lights etc.
    Thanks again

19. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Light - depends on what you want to spend. I have a rotator light. Cheap, about $20. Plugs into the cigarette lighter and has a magnetic base. I run the cord out the passenger window and set it on the top of the cab. Only need it when I'm actually plowing on the street. For me, that's only one account where I back onto the street several times. You could spend several hundred dollars and get a light bar. Or strobes. I'd suggest you have boots, gloves and heavy clothing (coveralls). Also some hydraulic fluid, hydraulic lines and basic wrench/tool kit. Duct tape. Shovel. Come-A-long or chain binder. Your state might require you to carry emergency triangles or flares.

My favorite - cell phone to call the tow truck. And coffee.

20. cja1987

You may need a strobe light as mick said, also i find it good to have bright reverse lights for plowing at night. I have two spot lights mounted up on a back rack, works great for seeing thins in reverse. Accesories depend highly on how much your plowing for a few drives in the neighborhood you won't need that much anything more the need increases.