1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best plow for light commercial?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BamBamm5144, Oct 10, 2010.

1. BamBamm5144

BamBamm5144 Junior Member

Hey Pros.

I am wondering what you all think is the best plow for a Chevy 2500 HD that will be doing light commercial and residential. By light commercial I mean smaller parking lots and small strip malls and the rest driveways of course.

Some of the bozos at these plow dealers keep trying to talk me into bigger plows than I think I will need.

I'm sure none of you remember me posting earlier, but I own an exterior remodeling business in the summer and it has gotten to the point that enough customers ask me about plowing in the winter that I figured I would take the leap into doing it myself instead of doing it for other bosses.

Please let me know what you think. One guy was talking about a Meyer 8.5. Necessary?

2. ff610

ff610 Senior Member

I started with 7'6" blades, then quickly added wings to all of them. After several years of this I jumped up to 8' plows, and now with the exception of 1 older plow I run 8'2" Boss VXT's or larger. Even with the few residential drives and banks I do 8' plows are plenty small, but it sure is nice to have the larger plows for the small commercial. I think once you get a little bigger plow you'll be happy you did. Good luck!

3. grf_1000

grf_1000 Senior Member

that like asking if you think a chevy is better then a ford. or ski-doo or artic cat :)
    i'll give you my 2 cents. with your truck,i'd go with a 8;2" boss v. v's are the best of both worlds :)
    let the slamming beging lol

4. SServices

SServices Senior Member

One of the few advantages of having the Meyer classic mount, I have both 7 1/2 and 8.

5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

How wide is your truck?
    When the plow is angled will a 7 1/2 plow push the snow past the tires or are you going to drive over the snow?

What happens when you go around curve when plowing? Ever gone around a corner and had the back wheels ride over the curve?

6. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I'm not sure why you are worried about having too big of a plow when you are plowing parking lots..... the only thing I would be concerned with is being too overweight, which can be solved with ballast. Bigger is better unless there are areas the plow just won't fit into.

7. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Honestly, I would go with a commercial weight plow and forget about it. I know they are more expensive, but they are also built better. If you go with a lightweight plow, and then expand your business, you will have to upgrade your plow in a year or two. Bite the bullet now, and you will be able to use the same plow for 10 or more years. Buy a cheap built plow now, and you will have to replace in 3 to 5 years, which just costs more in the end.

8. second income

second income Member

Western or Boss 8' conventional, only because if it will be your only plow for awhile you want reliability and utility. Both are extremely well made. On small commercial jobs, you do a lot of detail work,ie between parked cars, around light stanchions etc. Driveways the same. If you work as an hourly sub at least in the Jersey area, you only make more if you have a significantly larger plow on your pick up like a 9' or better then doing driveways would become very problematic. Bottom line, get a good quality plow from a local dealer where parts availability won,t be a problem. Stay away from the yellow ones.

9. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Get a Power Plow, that way you can go from 8 ft. to 10 ft. and never worry about this problem.