1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best Plow For Back Dragging?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TwoPuttTommy, Feb 17, 2004.

1. TwoPuttTommy

TwoPuttTommy Junior Member

It looks like I'll be replacing my current plow - maybe still this winter, but probably not until next fall. Maybe this spring, if the price is right.

Which plow, in your opinion, does the best job back-dragging from garage doors & loading docks, and why?

Input very much appreciated!
  2. mole

mole Senior Member

Not to be a wise guy but I would invest in a back plow also. It took me three years before I did this, I wish I had done this from the start. saves so much time and frustration. Look to see if you could get a deal on both or check you local paper to see if any one is getting rid of one. I just saw one in my local paper for 1400 and the guy will install it for you.
  3. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

There is only one way to do garage doors, loading docks etc. That is with a rear mount pull plow and a front plow. You will be able to do twice as much work per hour and soon pay for the back plow.
  4. 2004F550

2004F550 Senior Member

Well if you don't want to splurg for a back plow.....I would have to suggest a RD or HD Fisher plow. The width would depend on your vechile. These plows are heavy and will back drag quite well for you, not as well as a back blade however
  5. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I have a 8 foot fisher and have to back plow two loading docks.With light amounts of snow it does a good job but once it gets heavy, its a pita .You will have to go over it several times to get it decent.From what i hear the new fisher xblade has a much better attack angle and it backblades real good.If you dont want in invest in a rear plow go with a heavier blade or the xblade. jmo
  6. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

my curtis does very well backdragging.:nod:
  7. TwoPuttTommy

How long have you had your Curtis? I realize stuff breaks; I expect that hard use requires repairs and preventive maintenance means replacement parts, but: what has your experience been? Parts in stock, etc?

Thanks for your input!
  8. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I have had my curtis for 2 years (plowed 2 seasons). The dealer is about 6 miles from my house and seems to be very responsive when you ask them questions. The only thing i had go wrong with it was a broken trip spring which i was able to get right away. The dealer seems to have stuff in stock all the time a friend of mine who plows alot more than me has had a few things go wrong (forget what they were but ill ask him) and he said the dealer fixed them the same day. As far as the plow goes its been great and is by far the best plow ive used. Iam sure theres plenty of plows that are 10x better than mine but i like it alot and would not trand it for anything.:D
  9. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

ussualy the heavier the blade the better it back drags. Snoways with downpressure supposedly work well for it.

I try not to back drag when possible but sometimes it cant be helped. rear blades can be of benifit if you are needing to back drag quite a bit. If i was doing lots of resi I would go with a back blade in a second but that just me
  10. James_Jimmy

James_Jimmy Junior Member

If you have an exceptional amount of backdragging, a Hiniker C-Plow might be worth a look. I don't know of anyone on here that has one, but I'd say for backdragging with a front plow, it looks hard to beat.
  11. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

I have a sno-way 7.5' MT series with the down pressure. It backdrags great. If you have a fisher I would get a backdragging blade made for it. Any local welding shop can do it. The one where I live does it all the time and only charge like 275 for it.
  12. Chris Elliott

Chris Elliott Junior Member

Best I've seen is a Schmidt MF-3 with down pressure. Even without applying pressure it does well, probably because it weighs as much as a small house. <bg>

Chris Elliott
    78 Unimog 406 w/ 10' Fisher

PROPJCKEY Senior Member

I can't speak for the rest of the guys, but, when I back-drag docks, drives, etc...I drag just like I plow forward. Pull up with a straight blade and as you start to back-up, angle the blade so the snow rolls off one side. This eleviates having to go back and grab what rolled off the "clean" side.
  14. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

western has a optional back drag blade
  15. Toby

Toby Senior Member
    from NY

16. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

I have a Meyer C8 poly and my friend has a Fisher X Blade, they stand up very straight and are excelent at back dragging.

17. TwoPuttTommy

Actually, I have a Hiniker "C" plow on my truck now, and it's the plow I'm looking to replace.

When the "C" plow works, it works great. But, I've had a lot of problems with it, and Hiniker - to this point - does not seem willing to stand behind it..... See my post about "Lemons". :mad:
  18. snowbiter

snowbiter Member

Take a good look at a western pro plus if your truck can handle
    the weight.It has an optional back drag blade and the wings
    that mount with one pin--nice option.Its built to withstand
    commercial plowing. It also sits out about 9inchs further from
    the front than a regular plow.
  19. AGLawnCare

AGLawnCare Junior Member

sno-way is the best
  20. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Opinions vary.:nod: I'd like to have a back drag plow but I don't have enough back dragging to do to justify buying one. My Boss does just fine.:D