1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best plow for a municipal airport

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by ikold, Jan 8, 2010.

1. ikold

ikold Junior Member

We just got a contract to plow a small municipal airport. Not the runways or taxiways. All the hangar rows, and fuel deck. We will be using a cat 277b. Wondering what would be better for this task a 100" snow bucket so we can stack and move piles or an 8 foot pusher box?
    Do they do about the same amount of work?

2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Go with the pusher......and since it's all flat you may get away with a 10ftr. You'll be able to stack pretty well with the pusher.

3. KCAPXIS

KCAPXIS Senior Member
    from NE PA.

I have a 10' box for my 287B works good ! But if you want to move a lot of snow and do not get paid by the hour... then you want a Blizzard 8611SS or a 810ss would be almost as good !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Pusher, If your plowing every few inches you should be ok with a 10ft but you probably have some long pushes so a 8ft might be better
    Robert

5. ikold

ikold Junior Member

Getting paid by the hour....

We went with a 110" snow bucket. The sales guy sold us on the concept that how is a pusher really any different that a huge bucket? and it was 1,200 less that then a 10 foot bucket.
    The bucked we got is quite deep. Am hoping we made the correct decision.
    It does leave windrows but I suspect a pusher would too?
    Am impressed with its ability to bite down and get to the cement through the packed out snow.

6. rob_cook2001

A bucket will scrape better than a pusher, but that bucket is going to really suck when you hit a crack in the pavement or a curb. A pusher will leave trails when its totally full but not near as bad as a bucket. I hope it works better for you then I think it will.

7. mrsops

mrsops Senior Member

Rob i agree with you on pretty much everything you said here.. But why do you think the bucket would leave more drifts then the pusher?

8. rob_cook2001

The pusher will become full before it starts leaving trails, the bucket can start leaving trails before it's even full. The snow has to push up into the bucket, if you know what I mean. Kind of hard to explain.
    Robert

9. mrsops

mrsops Senior Member

I know excatly what you mean belive it or not you couldnt of said it any better.. I mean i feel plows are the best for 2-6 inches but after that i feel the buckets or snow pushers would be better what do you think?

10. rob_cook2001

In my opinion a pusher is best in 6 inches or less, but can work well in 8 inches(if it is sized right for you machine. I have done up to 20 inches with my s300 and plow. After that you better have a V blade or bucket.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Robert

11. getoffroad

getoffroad Junior Member
    from Mass

Get one of those kage innovation setups, then you will have a blade and a pusher. They are supposed to scrape better than a standard pusher too. I heard they were in the $5300 range for the 8 ft. unit

12. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

no offence i hope the bucket works ok for you... but you should have gotten a 10 foot box plow....i mean how much snowplowing does your sales rep do? does he seell box plows? or was he just trying to push into what he wanted to sell you.... bucket is gonna destroy that parking lot, hope its freshly paved and completely flat with no cracks or manhole covers otherwise you might want to invest in a helmet for yourself.

13. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Make sure you get a full face helmet, your teeth will thank you, your dentist won't!!!!!!! LOL

Seriously good luck with the snow bucket, we looked at one too but went with the pusher, we were thinking of being able to use it in the summer months as a light material(mulch) bucket, but we weighed the chances of injury to our operators and damage to the machine and or property and went with a pusher.

14. In2toys

In2toys Senior Member

I started with my 90 " bucket cause someone told me they were basically the same as a pusher. First storm I realized that wasn't exactly the case.... Buckets start leaving windrows almost immediately. I keep the bucket for light materials, backup, stacking, etc.

15. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

One more vote for the pusher here. Not only is it safer for the operator & the machine, but you'll spend far more time dumping the bucket out at the pile than simply raising the pusher & backing up.

16. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 Member

A nice thing about a bucket is it can be used year a round. It also can load salt if you have a large salter drop in. It all depends on how much snow you get in your area. Where I live we don't plow very many times a season so I would spend the money on a bucket so I can use it in the summer months.

17. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

wow who ever sold you on the bucket is a terrible salesman, not only did he give you some terrible advice he lost himself the extra profit on a more expensive pusher lmao

18. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

You can stack snow higher with a pusher/plow then you can with a large light material bucket. The only advantage to the large bucket is if you need to remove the snow from the site. If you're financially able to look for a used pusher on Craigslist, equipment trader, plowsite used equipment or ebay. It will cut your plowing time down alot.

19. ikold

ikold Junior Member

wings

Could we add wings to a bucket ? Has anyone tried that ?

20. schmol

schmol Senior Member

Why yes you can! go to www.sno-gate.com