1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best plow for 2003 Dakota

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ckelsoe, Sep 4, 2003.

1. ckelsoe

ckelsoe Junior Member

I own a 2003 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 with the 4.7-liter V8 engine. What plow would you recommend for this truck? I really like "V" plows and used a Boss one this year in our big blizzard. Is there one that would work on the Dakota? Also, any thoughts on beefing up the suspension to go with the plow?

2. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

3. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

your going to void the warenty on that truck i believe check into it first the only manufacturer that warrenties light duty trucks is chevy but you have to get the plow package
  4. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

If you go onto Fishers updated website and click on the LD series of plows you will see what looks to be a brand new Dodge Durango with a Fisher MM2 plow on it.

Check that out :)

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

Snoway.Light enough so it won't overload the smaller trucks,but still tough enough to use it hard.Down pressure helps with backdragging and scraping.

You don't have a lot of room left for weight on the front axle with a quad cab.Timbrens will help,as well as turning up the torsion bars a bit.A good amount of properly mounted ballast in the bed will help pull weight off the front axle as well.
  6. Little Jay

Little Jay Senior Member

Bungy cord a few shovels onto your front bumper after spray painting chevy bowties on them.
    Buy the lightest rig you can find and dont expect to beat it too hard.
  7. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

I see 7ft fishers and meyers used on dakotas. I see 7.5 sno-ways and 6.6 western on them to:)
  8. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Like mentioned above, I would check and see about the warranty also. Otherwise, yes I think it could take a plow and push snow real well. If you go with a Fisher or Western snowplow, I wouldnt go over a 6.5'. If you go with the lighter Sno-Way, I bet you can go up to a 7.5'. The Timbrens would definitely be a help and would be worth getting if you do go through with this and get the plow. Welcome to PlowSite by the way! :waving: Let us know what you decide. Mike
  9. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

I would say that any brand 6.5 or 7 foot plow would be ok for your truck. Make sure that your warranty will cover ya with a plow on. Also make sure that your dealer will be there for ya when you need parts on those unfortunate times. Good luck.
  10. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Both western and fischer are making blades geared towards the small pickups and suv's, Fischers version is called the Homesteader and western went with Suburbanit. Both are a poly blade with a locking down cylinder and come in 6'8" and 7'4", Both will work well on a dakota.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

all the majors will work. more important find a dealer close enough
    to fix it when it breaks in the middle of a storm

12. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

13. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

The V-8 is gonna add extra weight over the front axle. And its a quad cab. I wouldn't plow too much on there. Also dont tell the dealership that you are plowing with that truck. Transporting might also be a problem. I'm thinking the plow may block too much air flow. It might be fine for driveways(small is nice in a driveway), but there is no way that I would do commercial with that truck. V Plow will weigh too much. I would not suggest putting that on a mini truck. I would also suggest some weight in the bed. The 6'6" western is a nice little plow. My friend uses it on his Wrangler and does driveways. It works out pretty well for him. I've heard good stuff about the poly Sno-Ways too.
  14. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Definitely not a V plow, that is for sure on that little truck. You would need atleast a 3/4 ton truck to hook a V plow to. I forgot to mention before, I know a guy with an older Dodge Dakota pick up truck, I think its maybe a 1989 or 1990 model year, and he has an older Meyer 7.5' plow on it. Its the light duty skinny plow, I think its the ST-90? Anyway, the truck also has some sort of load boosters on the frontend to help with the weight. Im not sure if they are Timbren namebrand or not, but they do the trick cause the truck barely sags when the plow is raised up. Mike
  15. ckelsoe

ckelsoe Junior Member

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info and input. I think I will keep an eye out for an old beater and rig it up for plowing.

Thanks, Charles
  16. Sector4Me

Sector4Me Banned (again)

Dakota Plow

I would use the Blizzard 680 LT Straight plow.

I saw a guy last week pick up a new Ford Ranger with one on.

It was kool.:jester: