1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

best plow for 2001 3500hd?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by SHOWMESTATERIDE, Dec 21, 2006.

1. SHOWMESTATERIDE

SHOWMESTATERIDE Junior Member
    from MIDWEST

Just bought a 2001 chevy 3500hd 6.5 turbo diesel 2wd dump. What would be the best plow to put on this with out getting to heavy? All accounts are very large and wide open. Was thinking of 8'2 v boss or 9'2v boss.

2. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

I would say the V-plow would def. help you being that it's a 2wd. 8'2" should be plenty for the truck. If your putting a spreader on the back of the truck that will make a big difference as well.

I would just be a fraid to put too big a plow on there just because you'll need that much more weight in the back to make up the difference.

3. SHOWMESTATERIDE

from MIDWEST

vbox

Planning on getting a vbox as well. Still not sure what I want . I think a 8 western ss with honda or a swenson ss.

4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have a 1999 3500HD and we ran a 9' Western unimount for 5 years. We got it stuck once with 3 tons of salt in the back. It was a curved road and the driver missed the curve and put it 50' across the grass. We used to have a 8' Hydraulic salter in the back. You have to have weight to plow a 2wd truck.

5. SHOWMESTATERIDE

from MIDWEST

Three tons ot salt? How did she handle with all of that weight. how big was the spreader? Was going to get a 8' maybe 9' need the extra space. Just didn't want to get to heavy.

6. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

ya i'd go with a 9' on a dump but it depends what your plowing.

7. SHOWMESTATERIDE

from MIDWEST

plowing large open parking lots. Is yours a 2wd?

8. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

"All accounts are very large and wide open. " = Blizzard not a v-plow.

Yes I am biased.

9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If you are talking about the 3500HD with the 19.5 tires then the GVWR is 15,000 lbs. The salter was 8' with 2x12 boards around the top. It has a 11' dump box on it. I don't plow with the truck any more and have changed to a 10' Swenson salter. We can not fill this one as it is 4.4 cubic yards. The truck handled the weight well plowing but you could not go really fast across the lot as there was a lot of weight to stop. We would plow three lots and salt as we went and then the truck went and salted only the remaining 4 lots.

The truck will plow well just like a 5500 or 6500 but it can not be your only truck. This truck is one in a fleet of 10. If I was plowing by myself I would only consider 4X4.

10. SHOWMESTATERIDE

from MIDWEST

gvwr is 15000. Has a 9'6 stake dump on it. not sure if I should go with an electric spreader or a gas. Leaning toward gas. She stops pretty good with a load. Has 4wheel dics brakes. Any more suggestions with what size plow?

11. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I would only consider putting a 9' on a truck that wide. If not with the blade fully angled you will be running in the snow. The weight does not change very much from 8'6" to 9'.

12. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

9' western pro plus with the wings. 10' of plow and 3 tons of weight. You will be just fine.

13. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If you are buying brand new I would look at this set up. I just put Pro Plus Wings on my 8'6" Arctic.

14. SHOWMESTATERIDE

from MIDWEST

never seen an artic. Are the wings factory or aftermarket? Not sure western or boss. Have a western 7'6 on my 2500hd know and am happy with it. Dealer is close. Boss seems to be built a bit tougher but dealer is about 30 min away. Not sure of the v or straight plow. Like the versalitly of the v plow.

15. itsgottobegreen

On a 2wd truck you really don't want a V-blade. But if you still decide that route. Go with a western V. A trip edge V blade is a much better design over a full trip. But really for parking lots the wider the better and with western prowings on a 9' can move tons and tons of snow.

16. SHOWMESTATERIDE

from MIDWEST

Why don't you want a vblade on a 2wd?

17. itsgottobegreen

You kinda answered your own question. You want a plow thats not to heavy becuase you have a 2wd truck. V plows are a lot heavier, than a straight blade. More weight on the front, less traction on the back.

Plus if you are trying to break a drift with a V plow and get stuck, your done. Your not getting out with 2wd. I would put a V plow on that 2500HD before I put one on a 2wd dump truck.

18. Joshjeepcj7

Joshjeepcj7 Member

weight

put some weight and some chains on that chevy and it will do fine

19. Idealtim

Idealtim Senior Member

I don't care what plow you put on the front, you need at least 2500lbs of balast and idealy chains.

20. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

The plow you can get serviced when things go to hell. That is the best plow for any truck.

Good Luck Mike