1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best plow for '03 Silverado 2500HD?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Firesource, Nov 16, 2002.

1. Firesource

Firesource Junior Member

Just picked up my new '03 Silverado 2500HD this week, and would like to hear from other that have this vehicle regarding what type (Brand / size) plow you are using.

This will be my first plow purchase, and I will be doing 3 apartment parking lots (family business) and some family residential drive-ways.

I've used the Boss 8'2" V-Plow w/joystick control over the past 2 years (Family truck).

My 2500HD has the snow plow package, and the front end is rated at 4800 lbs.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

Firesource - I would stick with the 8' -2" V-Plow, its the perfect plow for apartment complexes. Yet, versatile enough for a residential application. Or maybe, the new and improved blizzard plow.

CGB

3. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Being in Buffalo i would go with a vee plow. I would have bought a BOSS but ,I went with the sno-way 9'3" vee with down pressure because my truck is so long.

02 2500HD ext. cab long bed

4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

I have an 02 chevy 2500HD and i put a 8 ft fisher straight blade on. You can probably go bigger, but that size fits perfectly for what i use it on. Ive see most others and they all have 8 footers as well, but I have seen a few with v's.

5. mdb landscaping

I have an 02 chevy 2500HD and i put a 8 ft fisher straight blade on. You can probably go bigger, but that size fits perfectly for what i use it on. Ive see most others and they all have 8 footers as well, but I have seen a few with v's.

6. nobull1

nobull1 Junior Member

After some help from this site I purchased a 9'2" boss v for my 02 k3600 duramax/6spd. Seems to work fine except need counter weight or easily stuck:mad: I have added Timbrens to the front and seems to make better handling with the plow and no differance without. Your truck should have the same frontend as mine as you have the snow plow prep. Plow is maybe a little big but it is possible if you want to put it on

7. Firesource

Firesource Junior Member

Boss plows - which controller?

NoBull ---

Just curious, which type of controller do you have for your V-Plow ---- the standard Joystick, or the hand-held unit?

I have used the joystick in the past, but am interested to hear from anyone using the hand-held unit. I like the idea of being able to switch hands, and also not having to modify my interior setup to mount the joystick.

Thanks!

Firesource

8. mdb landscaping

i have the joystick. It is convenient to be able to hold it in your hand. I find that a lot of times i dont even take it out of the cradle to use it. Either way, i think you should just get the joystick and mount it in a convenient location. That way you can easily remove it and use it in your hand, or just use it where the cradle is mounted.

9. Firesource

Firesource Junior Member

Smart-Touch vs. Joystick?

Sorry if this sounds redundant --- but are you using the handheld unit shown in the attached picture --- or the larger standard joystick that must be mounted?

Thanks for your help!

n_handcontr_2[1].gif

10. mdb landscaping

i have a handheld unit like that but not a V plow. it comes with a little holder too that just screws into the dash, that you hang the joystick into.

11. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

Go with the Boss V

I use the soft touch handheld (mounted to the dash most of the time).

12. nobull1

nobull1 Junior Member

I have the joystick now but that is because the first storm of this year the hand held after a hour of use went south.I think the hand held could be better if it was cable tied to the door arm rest as I have the 6spd. The joystick sits right on top of one side of the drink holder and I cable tied it the same perfect spot except same side as shifter. So I like the stick better but the hand held can be mounted in a better area:confused:

13. ultimate lawns

ultimate lawns Member

I was looking at the 2003 chevy's! They are nice. I think you
    should go with the WESTERN Ultra mount. Nice lookin plows
    and heavy duty!

ultimate lawns and more,

14. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

01 2500HD Western V controller.

Normally I use the center console as an arm rest.
    I stick the controller between the drivers & center seat/console, Fits perfect & I hardly have to move my arm. I can easily take it out when I'm haning my head out the window & don't have to worry about finding the darn bracket it slides into. Plus no more holes in your dash. It couldnt be any easier or a better location.

15. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

I like mine

here in the door. I put 2 pieces of velcro to keep it in place & it's easy to take out when not needed.;)

truck inside.jpg

16. PLM

PLM Junior Member
    from browser

ADVISE ONLY BUY WESTERN OR THE BOSS. FISHER IS JUNK, MEYER JUNK SNOW-WAY JUST AS HEAVY DON'T LET THEM KID YOU.

17. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

OK i agree Meyer is junk, but Fisher is junk? I dont think you are right about that and many here would argue that too i think. Sno-Way is just as heavy as the others mentioned?? I cant say, never felt one but have seen them and i dont see how they can be as heavy. Anyone else? Mike

18. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Western god but Fisher junk? Thay are almost the same plow...
    I dont get it.

19. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Interesting observation. Based on experience?

20. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

And lose the CAPS please. It just make it harder for us to read.