1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

best plow and truck combo

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by mrjab, Feb 1, 2009.

1. mrjab

mrjab Junior Member

I'm planning on doing some plowing at some rental property I own not looking for a large plow maybe a 6'8" to 7' plow and wanting to know the best brand plow to purchase and the best type of truck to put it on. any recommendations would be appreciated.

2. CountryBoy72

CountryBoy72 Member

What else would you use the truck for ? 3/4 ton is usually the preferred size truck for plowing. Are you looking for a new truck and new plow set up ? Might be able to find both used already a pair or find both used separately and save some money either way.

3. mrjab

mrjab Junior Member

I will also use the truck to haul lawn equipment,and tools a used set up will work the rental property has a narrow driveway.I just can get my f150 down it so a small truck would be helpful.

4. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

Try a reg. cab, 4x4 Toyota Tacoma, Nissan Frontier, Ford Ranger or Chevy/GMC Colorodo/Canyon. Any of these trucks with a 6'8" would be great for tight areas and still have the ability to haul what you need in the off season.

5. mrjab

mrjab Junior Member

thank you for that info I just need to decide on what type of plow to use. I've been looking into a western,and fisher,snoway and a few others just need one that pretty dependable..if it has to be a new plow that's no problem.this will be my first plow purchase.So simple is good.

6. Skid Mark

Skid Mark Member
    from ny

a chevy avalanche 1500 Z71 would work its compact yet tough and you could put a 7'6'' or smaller if you want also is good at towing and cargo with the bed panels good luck!

Chevy avalanche 1500 w/western midweight poly 7'6''
    bobcat 753 w/steer plow 7'

7. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

maybe you could just put a plow on your f150??

8. jimz2500

jimz2500 Member

meyers cause you live in Cleveland and can get parts everywhere and for the truck, one that's not rotted away from all the salt...lol.

9. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

best plow truck set up is
    89-90 dodge CTD with meyers plow
    First year for the CTD and last for the 727 automatic trans and plow parts are fair priced

for tight area plowing CJ wrangler are real good

10. ogdenflooring

ogdenflooring Member

Western Midweight on your F 150. Will work just fine

11. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Put a plow on the 150 if it's a 4x4....they plow real real good with ballast, timbrens and snow tires.

Don't go over 700# with the plow on the 150...you will be exceeding GWR on it.

12. mrjab

mrjab Junior Member

F150 has been customized not a winter truck the area that will be plowed does not have a lot of room has a narrow drive between two building so small is ideal that suggestion for the meyers plow sounds good i"ll look in that for now i'm looking at ranger 4x4 chevy,or gmc has to be a pickup I have a couple of snow plower that i will need to haul and may
    consider putting a salt speader on if i decide to take up a few neighbors drives.other plow that I looked into are fisher and western.

thank for the info
    I'll continue to use this site it give's a lot of good product information.

13. jimz2500

jimz2500 Member

This site is VERY informative.
    Since I am a converted Blue oval to GM, I would suggest a Canyon/Colorado.
    Do a search on here for Rangers and the like and see what everyone says

14. Chives10

Chives10 Junior Member

best plow

I like my snowdogg for light duty app. Manufactor is local and really good when problems come about. Let me know if you need to find a dealer

15. mrjab

mrjab Junior Member

I've located a local dealer who carries the snowdogg plow just trying to find prices online.
    Trying to get the most for the money there a couple other plows I've looked at Westerm,Meyers,Fisher and Sno-way.

16. Chives10

Chives10 Junior Member

I got mine installed at KopyKat 3,050.00 plus tax. I like it alot

17. mrjab

mrjab Junior Member

chives10 do you have addess and number of Kopykat. i found a local dealer there price is a little higher i would like to check out your guys place. and how is there service dept.

18. Chives10

Chives10 Junior Member

mrjab phone # 440-564-9006 10958 Kinsman Road, Newbury, OH 44065. Nice small place that cares about making customer happy

19. mrjab

mrjab Junior Member

thanks i'll give them a call

20. ghlkal

ghlkal Member

In the past I had beat up trucks with old Western and Meyers plows. This past year I bought a newer truck (2002) and purchased a new Sno-way series 26 with the poly moldboard and downpressure. So far, I like the setup. It’s light enough for my ½ ton, it’s easy to put on and take off, and everything works :) I wanted a new plow because I was tired of always tinkering with the old stuff. It will be worth it if the plow keeps working for a number of seasons!

For your application, I would think any of the “lighter” weight 7.5’ plows would be a good investment.