1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best places to live for plowing.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CTPlow, Jan 1, 2005.

1. CTPlow

CTPlow Member

First all, Happy New Year to all. :drinkup:
    Was just curious as to where you all believe is the best place to live as far as snow plowing goes-with mostly residential in mind. The amount/frequency of snow, the amount of business their is in such an area, best area for pricing, etc.

2003 F350 with Meyer II EZ Mount
  2. BASIC

BASIC Member

CTPlow,I was just going to post the same question,but would also include commercial.My wife,daughter and I would like to move out of NJ and are looking for suggestions.I hope you/we get some response to the post.Happy New Year,BASIC.
  3. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Northern Minnesota is normally a great spot for plowers. We started out a bit slow this season but I guess she was just working up a head of steam because I plowed 2" yesterday, today and tonight is supposed to bring 6-9" and Tuesday has another storm moving in.

Pricing however is another story...I started out taking on jobs at the market price (which is toooo looowww) but my last 3 accounts I picked up I gave them the price I needed and didn't budge...they are now customers.

4. Moosehunter

Moosehunter Member

Seems to me I'm in the wrong place. I've had the plow on the truck twice this season and both times it was only to move it out of the garage. :mad: Sooner or later, this kid is heading north. Not just for more plowing, but to leave the city life in the dust....

Good to hear you're getting some work up there. Down here is just a mess. Freezing rain, sleet and (at last count) 7 snowflakes.... Bad, because I need the work... Good, because this dang head cold would make plowing miserable...

Good luck in the new year.....

BTW.... Tell your moose to relax. I'm still a bit too sick to take a crack at him... :eek:
  5. alittle1

alittle1 Member

Canada, EH!

Canada, they always have snow, live in egloos, and there buck is worth almost as much. Airs clean. People are nice and friendly. Nice flag. Can walk down the street and not get robbed or shot. People still say, please and thank you.
  6. Up North

Up North Senior Member

We moved up here in July of 2003. Best thing we ever did. We're originally from this area but lived in the cities for 15 years...finally couldn't take it anymore. It's snowing here right now, but they've downgraded it to 3-6" but who cares as long as we get a couple inches? I've seen where you guys can't buy a flake down there, that ain't right.

Hope you get some snow and get over that cold, and my moose is a sitting duck right now...ate too much during Christmas and New Years last night. :D

Good luck to you as well.

7. brunosplace

brunosplace Senior Member

so far only one run of plowing this season in S.E. MI. :cry: but a buddy of mine is in the U.P. on the west end and has over 2 feet on the ground and has plowed 6 times at least so far :p
  8. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Here are a couple.

Buffalo, NY and much of upstate NY

West side of Michigan and Northern tip of Indiana (Michigan City, South Bend, ect)

Both get blasted with "lake effect" snow on a regular basis.
  9. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

Why would you move out of NJ for plowing? We might have less snow some years but we also get 3 to 5 times as much to do it.
  10. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Sure as hell not Iowa. :rolleyes:
  11. Mowey9

Mowey9 Member
    from Iowa

I hear you on that one Boss.
  12. Yup,
    Same here across the river Boss and Mowey. :cry:
  13. BASIC

BASIC Member

Turmower,sir,because NJ is overcrowded(more people per squre mile than anywhere else in the US),people are rude,cost of living high,etc.It's just not the place for us,BASIC.
  14. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

Move out to Warren County lots of snow and few people. I guess you are near NY that where all the rude people are.
  15. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

not nebraska either as boss can tell you its been in the 50s and 60s last week no snow all year
  16. Chaser13114

Chaser13114 Senior Member

Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Watertown NY. Take your pick.
  17. IA snoman

IA snoman Senior Member
    from Ia

Are you getting fed up over there too! :waving: Hopefully will be workin some this week

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

do an internet search on the the best states for quality of life and taxes.here in buffalo plow guys are a dime dozen . thats not only the problem it's the high cost of living and paying for all the welfare, in fact stay away from the state of ny if where make a move like that i would move to a state that wasn't a border state so your taxes are cheaper . good luck.
  19. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Maybe a chance for light snow on Wednesday but at this point I could care less anymore. I've had it with this Iowa weather. I'm seriously thinking about getting out of it this year.
  20. Ya right Boss,
    You are a snow addict just like all the rest of us............. :waving:

Hang in there :yow!: