1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best places to keep a snow remover in business?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by oldschoo, Jan 14, 2007.

1. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

I see Grand Rapids MI, Rochester NY, and Minneapolis, as three places within 500 miles of me that get anywhere from 2-4 times as much snow as I do in my hometown. Does this mean that these towns would likely be more profitable to do work in them? I mean, they get much more snowfall so wouldn't the snow tend to stick more and thus would allow me more driveways to blow? It's either I do this or maybe have to go back to waiting tables to get by. I'd much rather blow snow for $25-50/hr than have to be ordered around by people and have a boss to answer and only making $15/hr or less. Any suggestions or comments on this would be much appreciated!:p

2. KingDuramax

KingDuramax Senior Member

I know there is alot of competition in Rochestor.

3. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

comp

Is that right? I wonder how it is in Michigan? Hopefully it won't be too much comp. there.

4. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

I think anywhere they get a good amount of snow each winter is going to have a lot of competition.

5. elmo1537

elmo1537 Senior Member

The North Pole

Russia

Colorado

Not the northeast

We apparently dont get snow anymore here.:angry: :angry:

6. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

Colorado

Yeah. Maybe I'll get a crain and hauling truck to haul the dead cows out of Colorado, there's probably more money in that than in this area.
    ha, ha ,ha, :angry:

7. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

I would say Rochester is NOT the hot spot for plowing right now.

8. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

no plow just blower

I don't have a plow right now though. Just plan on getting a blower to start.

9. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

With as little snow as we are getting...................Da boys might not appreciate you movin' in on their territory......................Do you like your kneecaps???................:gunsfiring:

10. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

It doesn't snow every day. The only way to make money is seasonal contracts these days but not many homeowners want to do that, and not many homeowners are going to want to pay you unless the snow is three inches or more. I run into people who want things done when it reachers 6 inches or more, as they are cheap skates. I won't plow for people like that, as the driveway gets icy and the snow gets deeper and more wear and tear on my trucks. It''ll suck for a snowblower as they don't seem to get into the packed snow.

11. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

LoL San Diego, California had snow the other day, my girlfriend's friend called and said that, I didn't believe it and then I checked the radar down there... it appeared to be a mix though.

12. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

Some have said that it's a rat race; a dog eat dog world. I've never heard of a snow-remover having a war over teritorry. Besides, this is a free country. Assault is a crime. And anyway, I can handle myself quite well. Especially with a tire iron wesport

Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  13. elmo1537

elmo1537 Senior Member

Assault may be a crime but it is the fact of losing your kneecaps before the other person gets arrested that worries me:gunsfiring: :gunsfiring: I doesnt really matter where you are. I was reading another one of your post and I wonder. Do you think that snow removal is a fast way to make money?

I worry about this because it seems all you want to do is make 25-50 dollars an hour. If you stop and factor in all of the cost associated with snow removal you really dont make 25-50 dollars per hour. Factor this in liability insurance, fuel, equipment replacement, cost of living and then labor.

Insurance
    So you are saying I am only a little guy. Well think about this you are doing a driveway for $35 you can do 2 in one hour. Thats $70 dollars an hour (which is what some top excecutive (sp) make an hour). You blow 10 driveways. $350 not bad for a days work. You go home loving you just made the most money in one day ever. Then the phone rings apparently the second house that you did you threw a rock through a french glass door. Guess who is going to have to replace it :cry: :realmad: So at a price of 1500 dollars you replace the door out of pocket because you didnt have insurance. Quick math tell me that now you got paid nothing for all of the work you just completed and you will even have to work three full days to make up what you lost.

Fuel
    Duh Combustion Engines need fuel to work properly.

Equipment Replacement
    That Sears snowblower isnt going to last forever if you are lucky one season. Judging by the price you are going to pay for it. You will be buying two every season if you really want to go big time.

Cost of living
    The idea that i have gotten by reading some of your other post is that you plan on going to a city getting a hotel room and living out of that while you and your girlfriend go around knocking on doors asking people if they want there driveway snowblown. Hotels are not cheap. Most of the people you will find especially if you have not been in the area for long will be the cheapskate that will only pay 10 or 20 dollars to the kid walking around town with a snowblower because they figure that he is only doing this to make a little money.

Labor
    Do you really think you girlfriend is going to put up with being in the cold knocking on doors only to have them slammed in her face for very long with out getting paid a significant amount of your profit.

Insurance $50 month =10 bucks per event or so
    Fuel = ten gallons @3.00 per gallon 15 per event
    Equipment replacement = el cheapo blower $500 Replacement $15 per event
    Cost of Living = $100 per day/ per event not including food
    Labor for girlfriend $10 hr $100

20 driveways @ $20 = 400 dollars

So after all of this you will make about $14.50 an hour.

Was this really worth ten hours of your day freezing your a$$ off.

I didnt go into real detail you will have to pay for food, fuel for your vehicle if you plan on driving to another city of your choice or whatever.

I am not trying to be a jerkoff but snow removal is not a get rich quick business. If you want to get rich quick play the lotto your odd are much better

Last edited: Jan 16, 2007
  14. LMG Masonry Inc

LMG Masonry Inc Member

Amen Elmo !! You'd be better off getting a job for a snow removal contractor, Think you would make more money w/ less hassel.

15. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

16. 1lowGMC

1lowGMC Member

Rochester is not a good place this year. We have had 1 plowable snowfall of 4" about a month ago, and thats it. I'm putting my plow on tonight, but I don't think we are gonna see much over the next few days, it looks like everything is just north of us.:realmad:

17. ksgcapecod

ksgcapecod Member

Oldschoo,

I don't believe Elmo was trying to be a jerk to you. I believe that he is trying to get you to look at the big picture. Granted, no one is going to intentionally aim the chute at a french door, house, vehicle, or person. Unfortunately, accidents do happen and if you happen to be snow blowing for that one homeowner who does not understand that accidents do happen and and he wants the money to replace that shattered french door, well you own it. At least with insurance you will not have to pay out of your pocket. Remember, no matter how careful any of us try to be Murphy's Law is always looming. If you decide to do things your way good luck, I hope you make what your expecting. Just think about all your costs involved, travel time, fuel, etc. before you come up with a price that you want to charge.

18. LMG Masonry Inc

LMG Masonry Inc Member

Don't take it personal oldschoo he's from NY, probably in waste management? Think he's just saying better to be safe than sorry. But if you are in biz and will be claiming your income you should have Insurance. You never know the neighbors chihuahua might run into the auger and get chewed up?? We all go out and hope that bad things won't happen but if they do you want to cover your ace. If your doing it on the side thats fine too, I do know that there are large contractors around here that are paying $15.00 an hour to shovel, when I say shovel they are using an enclosed and heated piece of equipment and are working lots of hrs.Think you would make more $$$$ that is when it snows and if it snows again?
    Good luck in your decision.payup payup

19. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

insurance, ect

I understand. I'm just a bigtime optimist so it's hard for me to stoop like that in my thinking. But if it's $50/month, that's pretty reasonable.
    I just hope it's not manditory. I don't want to get insurance and all that if I'm only going to be getting a few houses here and there.:)

20. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

I'm expecting to net at least $20 or more per hour or I'd just soon go with one of my other business ventures or back to waiting tables for $15. It would seem to me that it would be the persons fault if they let there dog run into my machine like that. Kind of an act of God u know.
    But if insur. is only $50/mo, that's not bad.:D