1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best places to install strobes

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by c.schulz, Nov 25, 2007.

1. c.schulz

c.schulz Senior Member

Getting ready to purchase a hide a way system for my 05 GMC(90 Watt Whelen). Where do you guys normaly mount yours? I was thinking the front marker lamps under headlamp w/ amber bulb. Rear, amber turn signal area. The unit will be able to light 6 heads so I'm thinking the other 2 in the turn signals on the plow.On the roof I also run a small beacon type.
    Just lookin for ideas.

Thanks Chris
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2007
  2. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

what i did .. was put 2 bulbs in the turn signal housing and 4 in the back (2 in backup - 2 brake light) ... id stick with the clear bulbs .. i think amber bulbs are about $15 extra per bulb ..

3. 03mossy

03mossy Junior Member

not meaning to jack your thread or anything but i am new to the aftermartket strobe lighting seen and got a couple questions. do these "kits" replace the exzisting light bulbs in the blinkers and marker lights? how much would a set up like this cost? thanks

4. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

No Mossy you have to cut a one inch hole in the housing that you choose to put the strobe tube in.

Shulz I personally would put them in the headlights and the other four in the rear. The reason being is with the plow down your marker lights wont be seen with the snow dust and all. For putting the others in the rear taillights, how many times have you seen an idiot watch you plow for 10 or 20 mins and then pull out in front of you when your backing up. Stick with clear though cause they look like there white any ways. I have installed many of these and the color coating just burns off, its a waste. Just my 2 cents hope it helps.

5. DodgeGuy

DodgeGuy Member

As you are in Michigan the only color you are allowed to use is Amber. Personally, I would just go with a minibar as Michigan I do believe has a 360 visibility rule. If you do choose to go with HAW's you can use a clear HAW tube in your rear amber turn signals and it will be a nice amber still because of the lense. For the front, if you can;t get them into the amber part use Amber tubes or put them in the plow lights turn signals, however to do this requires a disconnect plug on your strobe cables.

For those with/suggesting clear: Michigan State Law on Lights See the second page.

6. firelwn82

Understandable about the laws. But who In Michigan has ever been burned on these laws? Its like the DO NOT REMOVE TAG on your mattress. Do what you want. Tow trucks have red lights nowa days and cop cars have red and blue. Those are laws too but there being broken every time they turn there lights on.

7. DodgeGuy

DodgeGuy Member

That is true, very true. Even around here.

8. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Firelwn is right. 99% of the cops won't mess with you as long as you are not running down the road with them on. I plow alot on Dixie Hwy and Woodward Ave and you need to be seen when plowing the lots. I have left them on by accident and was driving down M59 and had a Waterford Cops go right pass me and didn't even blink. I figured it out about 1/2 mile away when a lady pulled over to the side of the road, looked up at my switchs and saw I had left the strobes on.:dizzy:

Regards Mike

9. c.schulz

c.schulz Senior Member

Having built a trailer last summer with LED's I do really like them. Ill have to look into pricing and maybe rethink this. On the other hand I like the lights to be hidden.

Thanks Chris

10. DodgeGuy

DodgeGuy Member

LED HAWS, made by NOVA and now Whelen. Best of both worlds.

11. firelwn82

You can still hide leds. I'll get some new pictures of my truck this afternoon and post them for you. My truck is all LED except headlight flasher and corner Hide away strobes. All red though for the FD

12. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

legal plowing colors in michigan are AMBER/CLEAR .... your absoulity right ... when its a blizzard or alot of blowing snow ... i do want to be scene .... its like a told a cop 2 yrs ago .... if i get hit .. from a person who said they didnt see me ... i will sue the city's law inforcementa agency who yanks me over to write me up for illegal use of lights .. and he agreed with me .. but most cops around detroit are cool with most everyones light setups ..

13. c.schulz

c.schulz Senior Member

Firelwn82, If you dont have the pics maybe I can stop by the FD I'm just on Seymour west of Cooks dairy. Shoot me an email c.schulz@charter.net

Thanks Chris

14. c.schulz

c.schulz Senior Member

WOW!!! Just checked out the LED Hide a way systems. really like the systems and low power draw. But the price is more but I think its worth it. So I guess Ill have to keep saving the dollars for the $400 purchase for a 4 head. Or another $230 if I want 6 lights.:nod:
    I like lights!!!!!!!!

Chris

15. DodgeGuy

DodgeGuy Member

Which system did you look at? I think the Whelen one is multi directional, while the NOVA system requires the heads to be aimed.

I would buy the LED HAWS, for my emergency management stuff that I do(uses blue) but our permits don't allow em in the rear lights. I already have my Amber stuff, but I could always use more light.

16. c.schulz

c.schulz Senior Member

Whelen seems to be my pick right now but I will look into the LED HAWS. Probably will stick with clear or amber depending in what light I'll mount.
    Dodge Guy do you have a web site for the LED HAWS? Havent heard of this brand?

Thanks Chris

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  17. firelwn82

Hey Shulz. Sorry it snowed today, had a bad day but ended well. I'll get some pics of it today. I'll get some with them off and some with them on, see what you think. I have never seen the LED lights that are set up like strobes. It would be cool to see but not to sure about spending 400 bucks on something I haven't seen before. I like letting someone try it before I spend it, lol.

18. Eclipse

Eclipse Senior Member

FWIW - Clear is not an acceptable color for a plow vehicle in Michigan.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/aftermarket_lighting_8570_7.pdf

Edit: I just seen this was also posted earlier in this thread. I missed it on my first read through.

19. DodgeGuy

DodgeGuy Member

20. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

This is what I would do. I like the idea of putting the other 2 in the plow lights.

IMG_2024Small.jpg

IMG_2026Small.jpg