1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best place to buy western valves?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Lowes, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Lowes

Lowes Member
    from Mo

I am having some problems with my Unimount plow.
    The only movement I can get is angle to the passenger side.
    This is after I remove the hoses to manual turn the plow to dead center.
    I believe I may have a partially opening S2 Cartridge valve. It moves freely once it is removed from the valve body. Looking at the upper holes it looks like it only moves the plunger half way. I have never removed one before. I don't know if that is correct or not.
    At $68.00 from the dealer I would hat to just start changing parts till I find the fix.
    What is a reasonable place to purchase valves etc. I hate dealing with flea bay.
    Any one have an old pump with some parts laying around?

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Before you go replacing valves, check for any wiring problems. First I would check the black/orange wire. It start from the solenoid and end up to the valves and connect to the plow frame were the negative wire from the battery is also bolted to

Next I would clean the grill connector (plow and truck connects together) Clean it.......Clean it with battery cleaner. Let it soak for a minute or two.Blow it out with a air gun, and do it all over again. Then take a pair of channel lock pliers. Squeeze the female (truck side. has holes in it) plug easy to give the female spades just a squeeze. Connect the plow and truck back together.. Put the valve back were it belongs. Make sure you have good connections wires attaching to all three valves..

After you check all the wires on the solenoid to the plow and made sure there is no corrosion on any connection, turn the key and try the plow out, up, down, left, right, and down......

Let us know how you made out...This is the first step

3. Lowes

Lowes Member
    from Mo

Thanks. I will sure try the channel lock idea. I believe they are loose. I guess this happens as many times I have removed the harness.

4. twinman326

Just to give you some info

S2 (3way) control the right angle
    S2 & S3 (3way &4way) control the left angle
    S3 (4way) control the raise
    S1 (2way) control the down

Here are some test procedures for the cartridge test. Very easy to understand.

cartridgetest.jpg

vehicleharness test.jpg

Individual solenoid test.jpg

If the spool is moving, clean the cartridge and re-install.

Have you check the screen inside the housing to see if it is clog??

cartridgetest.jpg

vehicleharness test.jpg

Individual solenoid test.jpg

5. Lowes

Lowes Member
    from Mo

I have looked at those charts till I was cross eyed. I think now I have 5 pages to memory.
    As it turns out I have what I like to call a dirty open. It was just enough connection on the truck side 6 pin harness of the controller to light up the lamp tester. Yet when activated to with the coils the lamp tester would go dim very quick.
    I then begain flexing the wires at the 6 pin connector and found they are loose inside the plastic. Just so happens the the green , and blue wires are the worst off.
    Now where is the best spot for replacement ends?
    any aftermarket 6 pin connectors?

6. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

No aftermarket yet.

Try CPW or ES at the top of the page.

7. twinman326

The harness for the controller is giving you the problem??

8. Lowes

Lowes Member
    from Mo

It has been giving me all sorts of problems. When you hold the wire tight against the plastic 6 pin connector it will work. Let go and the S3 coil will not activate. It just enough of a connection at the S3 coil to light up the test light (very dim) Also the S2 coil would do the same. I guess I'm not lucky enough to get by with taking channel locks and squeezing the connector tight like at 9 pin grill harness.

9. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Oh, that 6 pin connector.

Try Radio Shack, they use to have the repalcement ends/terminals. Just have to search through the drawer since the person working with the college degree wont be much help.

10. twinman326

Or maybe you can use the tip of the test light and put it between the plastic and the terminal (female side of the plug) and push it in (making a small indent) so when you connect both ends, the male will go in just a little tighter (now that sound weird).

11. Lowes

Lowes Member
    from Mo

YOU READ MY MIND!
    I just got back 5 seconds ago from radio shack with a new 6 pin male and female connector. $2.39 each. It's not the same size as the OEM Western, but it should not matter.
    I also picked up the removal tool to take out the pins if needed.