1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best place to buy a Whelen?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by blackDiesel, Apr 21, 2010.

1. blackDiesel

blackDiesel Member

Hey folks,
    I'm new to the site and look forward to learning a lot and helping out where I can. I am in the business for a new Amber light for my back rack. I really like the Whelen 9M Mini Edge Bar.
    Anyone have this light? and also a good place to pick one of these up for a fair price? thanksussmileyflag
  2. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

Welcome to the site.

Are you looking for takedown/worklights and alley lights or just a straight warning light?
  3. blackDiesel

blackDiesel Member

Looking for Takedown/worklights and an Amber warning light for plowing. I just like the Whelen 9M and like how I can put clear lenses in the middle part of the light to light up the back of truck while backing up.
  4. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

The best I can do on that is $545 shipped. You may be able to get better pricing, so take a look around.

In my opinion and experience, you can get a lot more bang for your buck by going with a mini LED bar and seperate Flood lights. The problem with having them mounted in the bar is that the optics are designed to project the light as far as possible and won't be very effective to the sides of the truck.
  5. blackDiesel

blackDiesel Member

okay thanks! I'll look into it someone. appreciate you input-
  6. lawnwolf

lawnwolf Junior Member

I agree with John from Safety Lighting and Equipment, LED bars are the way to go, especially since they have sunch a low current draw which is a plus when plowing at night.

Hella makes some nice double beam work lights, (Hella Item #: H15161031) I use four of them mounted underneath my rear bumper. Two facing to the rear and two facing the sides. They are wired to come on with the reverse lights and have a separate switch to turn them on all of the time.

I also use four of the Whelen TIR3™ & LIN3™ Series Super-LED® Lightheads in amber, mounted under the rear bumper, Two rear facing and two side facing, wired to come on with the reverse lights. They work great for backing out of driveways while plowing.
  7. RobE

RobE Junior Member
    from RI

this is who i use: www.strobesnmore.com

they have the best prices, fast shipping and awesome customer service.
  8. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

Ya, if you like the owner Lois calling you up long distance and chewing you out if you have questions about the order. Guy is a real a**.

9. joshg

joshg Senior Member
    from VT

Sent you an email through your website. I was interested in gettting in touch about some items. Please take a look.
  10. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

It took you 5 months to send an email!
  11. joshg

joshg Senior Member
    from VT

No..ha. I sent a couple days ago this was just one of the last threads he was active on.
  12. Deershack

Deershack Senior Member

I just had to replace my 10 month old strobe because the vibrator on my box shook it apart. Bummer
  13. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

14. joshg

joshg Senior Member
    from VT

They didn't have the soundoff model I was after but might give them a call to see if they can get it.
  15. Team_Arctic

Team_Arctic Senior Member

16. Deershack

Deershack Senior Member

Hope I figured out a way to lessen the impact of my vibratory on my strobe. I cut a piece of 1" radiator hose, drilled holes for !/4" bolts and squeezed it between the base of the strobe and the swinging mount. No strobe to metal contact. Hoping it will isolate the strobe from the box enough that I can still use the vibratory.