1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best Piece of snow equiptment

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sbrinks, Jan 26, 2008.

1. sbrinks

sbrinks Junior Member
    from placer

Can anyone tell me what might be the best and least expensive equipment I might need for the following: I'm moving to the mountains down a long 4 mile dirt road and the city doesn't plow it. Could get as high as 3-4 feet if unattended. I own a 99 Dodge 2500 4x4. Should I be looking at plows, truck mounted blowers, atv mounted blowers or something else????? Thanks for the help.

2. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

since youve already got the truck i would get a V plow. you should be able to bust open the 3-4' drifts no problem with a V

3. sbrinks

sbrinks Junior Member
    from placer

Thank you. Any manufacturer or are some better and some worse. Also, would that get me through snow that's been sitting a couple days and also snow that's been rained on?

4. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

I would agree that if you have drifts that the v would be better for opening things up. 4 miles of 3-4' drifts is alot to move for any truck mounted plow, especially in mountainess terrain. How high do the banks generally get? When it turns to Sierra cement you may be better suited with a blower rather than a plow. JMO

5. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Boss, fisher, western, all make good V plows but none of them are imune to breakage.i personally like a fisher or western V plow because they have a trip edge, whereas the Boss V is full trip which doesnt trip very well in scoop. IF you let the snow sit and get rained on and freeze you will have a much harder time than if you just plow during/right after the storm.

6. sbrinks

sbrinks Junior Member
    from placer

ok. Thanks. Can you tell me approx. how high of snow I could plow thru after a storm if i didn't let it sit.

7. sbrinks

sbrinks Junior Member
    from placer

By drifts.... That means fresh soft snow???? There is only small sections where the slope is probably 20-30%. + -

8. TL697

TL697 Senior Member

I assume that the snow only gets 3-4 feet when left to accumulate over a few storms...

If so, all you need is a straight blade...

A V-plow would be nice, but more expensive...

I have a 1 mile drive that starts at 9100 feet and ends at 9800 feet, and I just use my straight blade... I don't let more than 4-6 inches accumulate if I can help it... but I've plowed 1-2 feet before (not drifts, actual accumulation)

I bought my 8' Northman used for $2500. It was purchased new in October '07, and used once...

In any case, a plow for your truck (V-plow or straight blade) is all you need.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
  9. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

The problem with letting snow sit or not having a very wide road to begin with you run out of places to put it. You need to start the season plowing it as wide as you can. The banks can get high enough quick enough that you'll be screwed quickly. I would get a tractor with a cab and a snowblower. You can do the storm at the end of it and you'll always have room because you can throw snow wherever. Plus you can use the tractor for other stuff around the property.