1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best piece of equipment for banks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Vasnow, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Vasnow

Vasnow Junior Member

Picked up a bunch of banks this season and wanted to see what everyone thought was the best setup for them. I've been looking at bobcat toolcats. Are they to small to handle these property's and how much snow can u clear with the broom. Our average storm is 3-6 inches

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

If I'm doing a bank job, ski mask and gloves is a must.

3. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Thumbs Up:nod::nod::nod:

Ok, back to the OP, just make sure that your plow fits through the drive through, if not either a snowblower or shovel works fine, just have the guy shoveling the walkway for you do it. Thats what the company I used to work for did.

4. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

Yeah its a pain if your plow doesn't fit through. I bought a 9'2" v last year and it fit through the properties on my route but not some of the ones on our other routes. Banks are like half of our properties, we just run our trucks with plows and then shovel and salt the sidewalks

5. Vasnow

Vasnow Junior Member

I'm trying to run all my plow trucks on my big box stores this year. And the real question is a toolcat or kubota utv or something around that size going to be able to do banks and not take forever? Transportation from site to site isn't a problem because I have a 2wd pickup that sits to tow it

6. jhall22guitar

Aren't the toolcats like 30K? I think you would be better just buying a used pickup with a 8'6 or 8'2 (one of the sizes like that) V blade that can fit through the drives. Loading and unloading take time and it will add up fast.

Best bet would be another truck if its in the budget, or use one that you already have and take if off the stores.

7. jhall22guitar

Then you can make the 2WD truck a truck for a shovel crew, throw a blower in the back with salt and stuff to get the walks done so they don't hold up your plow truck (if they ride in one)

8. Plow King

Plow King Senior Member

I have 4 banks on my route. I use my f250 with a 8' blade without issue.

A toolcat would be awesome but banks are small and between the cost of the toolcat plus still needing a pickup to haul it from site to site plus time lost to loading and unloading the toolcat - A pickup with plow would finish the route first in my opinion.

If the banks are close to eachother and you can drive the toolcat from site to site then different story.

9. Vasnow

Vasnow Junior Member

Theirs about 13 or them within a 5-10 drive of each other so driving is a possibility

10. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

If you are concerned about a small enough piece of equipment why not a Colorado/canyon size of truck with a small plow? We bought one several years ago for sidewalks and tight spaces. Not the greatest truck in a big area or with heavy snow but it works perfect for what we bought it for.

11. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

A Jeep or a shortbed single cab 1/2t pick up a little more size is needed.

12. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Skid with an 8' Kage?

13. jhall22guitar

But he's going to have to trailer it from site to site :nono:

14. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Bingo. I was going to say the exact same thing until I saw this post.

I service several banks and like others have said, the drive-thru is the toughest part. The older banks are so narrow that I need to fold in my mirrors just to make it through with a Wideout. Not ideal.

15. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

Bring a few shovel guys with you and have them clear out the entrances of the drive through lanes. The banks we service don't seem to get much snow in the middle of the drive throughs since there so we'll covered.

16. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

The Toolcat will be more productive than a pickup truck on small lots. Even medium size it will keep up with a truck.

18 mph is faster than some think.

Just go into it knowing they are expensive to maintain in the long run.

PS A new one will be in the $55,000 range.

PPS trucks might fit through a drive thru, but not easily. Lots of potential for damage.

17. jhall22guitar

Maybe you could rig up a flamethrower that melts the snow in the drive thru. :angry:

18. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

OP said 12 or 13 within a 10 minute drive...Register the skid, drive it. I registered my skidder and drove it more than once.

19. info4tim

info4tim Senior Member

Omg Get A Jeep! 6.8-7' blade you'll run circles (literally) round the competition! Like a big utv! Touchups are a Breeze n heavy snow also not a problem! Use em on driveways too. Can turn around in mid driveway..a plow monster for small, tight areas n Loads of fun too! Best.

20. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Damn,that is funny! plow it with a truck,why the big deal?