1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best Picks New Trucks 2500 Series

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by beantownhero, Jul 9, 2009.

1. beantownhero

beantownhero Junior Member
    from boston

Post your top pick for out of the three below, people who have actully used the trucks respone only (plowing & snow removal - commercial, towing..hauling ect...)

GM's 2500HD's (Chevy & GMC)
    Dodge 2500
    Ford F-250

Im looking for a new 2500-250 mainly for snow plowing + removal and occasionally carrying a few thousand pounds in the back... not more then 6,000, leaning on the GM side...probably a Silverado or Sierra

Also i've heard the GM & Dodge 1500's can plow with steel blades without potential issues and remain under warrenty??
    Any word about a 2010 Avalanche 2500?

ussmileyflagussmileyflagussmileyflag

2. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Your going to get so many mixed answers :)
    Good luck with deciding on a truck.
    I never used a 250, but just since its a Ford, I would say go with it haha.

3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

None of those trucks will carry 6,000 LBS in the box legally.

They all have their pros and cons. Many guys on here that have them and you are going to give many different answers.

Go test drive them and buy the one you like best or get the best deal.

There is a 1500 Crew Cab at the dealer right now with a blade on it so I'm not sure how it voids your warranty.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I personally like Fords and I'll tell you why.

- Solid front axle comes stock.
    - stock FGWVR goes anywhere from 4800# - 6000# (Aftermarket 7000#)
    - Fords hold plows well
    - TorqueShift tranny is bulletproof
    - PowerStroke kicks arse plowing.

But you know what, you get diesel in any one of those and you'll be happy as hell.

5. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

Im a GM guy so id say go with the silverado/sierra 2500HD, im also a diesel guy so as far as GM goes you really cant beat the Duramax/Allison combo right now, both the Ford 6.4 and Dodge 6.7 are having their fare share of problems. as far as suspension, the GMs are giong to ride better but they will nose dive more than the Ford or Dodges with plows but all you really need is a few turns on the torsoin bars and your good.

6. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

F250

but I would choose F350 DRW for that. 6,000 pounds in srw too risk. My F350 bent 2 rear steel rims because too overload but they not dually.

7. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

The Ford vs. GM vs. Dodge argument here is a huge waste of time. The GM guys will tell you to buy a GM. The Dodge guys will tell you to buy a Dodge. And, you probably guessed it, the Ford guys will say the Ford is best.

Your warranty is only as good as your dealer. Any truck without the "snowplow prep" package could be arguably voided warranty-wise after a plow is installed; at least for chassis/ driveline/ and suspension components. Hard to argue that a bad glove box latch was caused by a plow on a non-prepped truck, but I'm sure someone has been told that was the case.

I personally have a Dodge 2500. It does everything I've asked it to- very well, I might add. Would a Ford or GM do the same? I'd imagine so, or they wouldn't even still have a foot in the light-commercial truck market. It really is going to have to come down to personal preference and where you can get the most for your money. A service dept. with a good reputation is also a huge bonus. They all need something at some point.