1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

best personal use plow for a 1999 ford ranger

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by chris15010, Aug 13, 2007.

1. chris15010

chris15010 Junior Member

Hi all i'm new here been lurking for awhile tho. I just bought a new house which has an asphalt driveway i am looking for a plow that will work for me for doing my driveway and maybe a few neighbors. I don't want to kill my truck with one tho since this is my daily driver and these trucks eat ball-joints as it is , yes i know plowing is tough on a vehicle to begin with but i am very easy on the truck. My question is which plow would you guys go with ? i am looking for anyone who has this particular genre ranger as well picture of the setup is nice too.

Truck info.
    1999 ford ranger XLT 4x4 off-road package supercab 4.0. auto

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i have a 7 foot blizzard plow for sale, if your interested, it is on my brothers dakota, but hes upgrading to a 3/4 ton dodge this winter and doesnt wanna sell the truck with the plow, its only 2 years old, with real light use, we used it as a backup truck for driveways but never really used it.
  3. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

I would go with that or a Curtis Home Pro for what you need to do. Thats what I have there are some pics of it on here floating around somewhere.
  4. chris15010

chris15010 Junior Member

you happen to have the identical truck to mine i am interested in pictures of the mount where it goes on the frame and the wiring if you have them? curious to see how it mounts on the frame i have the off road package with the steering cooler mounted under the front of the truck not looking to butcher anything there if you have any of them can you post them?

i also have a buddy who has a mint poly snopro3000 for sale took it off his jeep cherokee, he owns a moble station, and gave the jeep to his daughter, he's looking to sell it.
  6. chris15010

chris15010 Junior Member

how much$$ ?
  7. snowfighter75

snowfighter75 Senior Member

I got a snowbear on an S10 chevy 4x4 and it works awsome.
    Its light weight and very affordable. Check out snowbear.com
    Available at any walmart or Home Depot and related stores.
    And one more thing-----they are a lot tuffer than they look
    or what people say. Best of luck and welcome to the site!!
  8. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

12 carriage bolts. six self tapping screws two heavy duty pullys. a round wire storage wheel, without the wire on it. twenty five feet of cable. the plastic handle of a kite string. two seven foot long by 2 x 12 wooden planks (or substitute top board of bleacher from local highschool or stadium and cut to size). three street sign posts (keep actual signs . backside faces out on 2x12's.:dizzy: ) posts themselves to be cut to be used as runners for boards to move up and down in on pully cable. six garage door rollers (or roller skate wheels but then you may need giant highway sized sign posts).
    in up position you should be able to wrap cable around driver side mirror to hold from falling.
    did i forget anything.???
    oh yeah. cutting edge. bumper off a 72 cadillac deville. (make that 18 carriage bolts)

give it a shot and let me know how it works.

let me ask my brother, and my buddy how much they want for the plows. ill get back to you.
  10. silverbullet

silverbullet Junior Member

Check out a Snowbear

I bought a Snowbear last year to plow my work lots 2- 40 car lots & 2 steep drives. I'm in St Louis so we don't usually get the 12" snowfalls but got a couple 6" ones last year.I have it mounted on a 97 Jeep wrangler 4 cyl & it harldly compresses the springs at all when you raise it. It is easy to install easy to wire & hooking it up only requires to hitch pins to secure it.It uses an electric winch to raise.Sure the Westerns,Blizzards,Meyers etc are better but a hell of alot more expensive & heavier. For personal use it works great!I only paid $1150 for it & made $1700 last season plowing only one lot.I got it on line at CJ sales
  11. Brandon

Brandon Member

I have a 6'6" Western Unimount on my '97 Ranger....no complaints.
  12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

We've set a couple rangers up with the 22 series snoway, Sweet!
  13. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

Either a Western Surburbanite or the S series Meyer would be good. Maybe a fisher LD or the Fisher homesteader plow would be another choice. What dealers are in your area?
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2007
  14. das fisch

das fisch Junior Member
    from maine

if you go with the snowbear and can find a used one, i have mounts that should work with your truck. there were some used around here last year for well under $1000. i picked one up that was used twice for $500 (that's where the mounts are from)
  15. WSR

WSR Junior Member

Snowbears seem to work pretty good and they are cheap.
  16. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

i will second that .... im on my second snowbear in 8 yrs ...
  17. SuperPlow Guy

SuperPlow Guy Inactive

Step up from Snowbear?

Consider our plow it is easy to mount does driveways well doesn't cost an arm & leg and will last.... If you have a Class III hitch we are an alternative should pay for itself in a season or so. ;)
  18. xl1200c

xl1200c Junior Member
    from nj

I had a Snow bear on a 99 blazer for 2 years. It worked great for my home and business lot, but i got tired of having to get out to angle it. I replaced it with a Western Suburbanite and I would never go back. I am in now way bashing the Snow bear but hydralics are the way to go!
  19. SuperPlow Guy

SuperPlow Guy Inactive

Hydraulics are the way to go! I agree that's why we have them. Self angling and plow both directions can any other plow say that?:nono: