1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best Paint to use to repaint?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Snow2Go, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Snow2Go

Snow2Go Senior Member
    from Chi

Just got a meyer and its pretty done. I got it all torn apart and am going to try and clean it up and blast some of the smaller stuff. I heard alot of people are using rustoleom can I use the spray can or should I paint it on or do you have any other recommendations. Thankswesportwesport

2. MIwinter

MIwinter Member

go to your loal TSC tractor supply company and buy some tractor and equipment paint and roll it on using a regular rollar used to paint your house and a small paint brush for hard to get to spots. They also have a primer there for it in stock and any color your need for less than $20, Painted mine like that and Im on 3rd season plowing and not a scratch/chip.

3. gprx2

gprx2 Junior Member

Thats exactly what I did..... Got the New Holland Red Tractor and Impelment paint from TSC. This is the first time that Ive repainted a plow and it seems to be holding up very well. Had the whole thing sand blasted then I put on a coat of spray primer then rolled and brushed on 3 coats of the red paint.
    If you read on the label of the paint it needs like 14 days to fully cure.

4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Imron paint is extremely durable AND snow does NOT stick to it

5. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i found its not about the paint, its about how you apply it, take your time grinding, sanding, sand blasting. apply a few rust coats, primer coats, then the paint... personally , brush it on... it lasts longer than any spray

6. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

i agree with elite. I just repainted me plow over the summer. If you want to go all out, completely disassemble it, strip everything with a needlescaler and a grinder, bush up the rust, the apply primer, paint, and a clear coat. Then get a new decal to top it all off. I used Rustoleum but there are many other products out there. POR something or other???? someone on here will know it.

7. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

I use Marking paint found at ACE hardware, about 8 bucks a can ,primer 5 bucks,sticker 9 bucks and 5 bucks for a can of clear takes a week to really cure but seems very durable and plowed 3 good storms this year and not a scratch..I'm sure they have other colors..good luck

8. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member