1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best paint for repair to chips on plow????

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by tjmsmokin, Feb 4, 2010.

1. tjmsmokin

tjmsmokin Junior Member

Ok - who has any ideas on refinishing chipped up plow. Rustolium??

2. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

I would go to Tractor Supply and buy their Impliment Paint. It is much thicker than Rustoileum. I have not used it on a plow yet but I use it on all of my landscape trailers and it withstands abrasions very well.

3. tjmsmokin

tjmsmokin Junior Member

hey thanks NCat, but will check it out. Last plow I had-finished it with spray rustoleum, and even after siliconeing the heck out of it-snow stuck to it like peanut butter.

4. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

The tractor supply paint worked well for me. You can also use a hardener, which will help it cure faster, and be less sticky when cured. That being said-be very careful about covering over rust spots without prep. Typically when the powder coat has started to peel, it will continue to do so. Slapping a coat of paint over it will make it look better for maybe a year, all the while trapping moisture and salt under the powder coat that hasn't been fixed correctly. Your best bet is to take the moldboard off, and have it sandblasted. Cost me 100 to get it done, and it is much easier before you get that extra coat of paint on it. Otherwise just spray some fluid film on it for the time being until you can fix it correctly.

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Fluid Film on the blade will help keep snow from sticking.

6. tjmsmokin

tjmsmokin Junior Member

Thanks for your input, guess I have to do a little more work then I intended.

7. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Cheap turtle car wax works great too, smear it on and don't buff it. It gets lots of that naturally. (Can't get free samples of FF in Canada and it cost about 20% more.)