1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best paint for plow moldboard?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by thinairflyer, Dec 9, 2007.

1. thinairflyer

thinairflyer Junior Member

I tried searching but did not come up with anything specific about paints available for the blade on my old plow which has all the paint worn off. Snow sure sticks to it nicely... :)

I've seen some references to a graphite based paint. Anyone use it? Does it help, does it last very long? What other paints should I consider or use?

Is there something other than paint which will stop/help snow sticking to the blade?

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I use Imron Paint Its like a plastic and snow doesn't stick to it.
  3. thinairflyer

thinairflyer Junior Member

Isn't Imron a two part paint? Can it be brushed or must it be sprayed?

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I painted the blade I made for my bobcat with Behr Self Priming Exterior Paint. Homedepot. You may think... enterior... but its laytex and it can be sprayed. Girlfriend manages the paint department at the local homedepot and she bought me a gallon because I was complaining how much "bobcat orange" paint was and how its oil. She just tinted it to match and I sprayed it with my wagner cause its laytex. Worked fine, looks nice and shiney (semi-gloss) and I fluid filmed ontop of it. Cause its self priming you dont have to clean everything off, I just wire brushed any flakes off.
  5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Imron is a 2 part paint. I don't see why you cant brush it on. It is greate paint. I had it on my car and when I recked the car the paint ind't chip or peal it bent with the metal.
  6. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

tremclad real orange and a roller.

I painted my entire 550 with a roller using this paint. it works awsome and looks great from 9'
  7. BenW455

BenW455 Junior Member
    from WV

I had my first boss rhino lined. Cost about 225.00 and wont flake off.