1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

best paint for frame?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 400hp408sb, Sep 12, 2004.

1. 400hp408sb

400hp408sb Junior Member
    from Maine

I'm going to be sandblasting and painting the frame of my '87 chevy 3/4 ton truck. I am also going to blast the axle housings and repainting them as well. My question is what is the best type of paint out there to use. I don't want to use krylon or rustoleum products. I'd prefer something that goes on thicker than that and that will last a long while. I use this truck for mud racing/truck pulls. I used rustoleum on the rear end originally and it started peeling a year later, and yes that was after blasting down to bare metal. I figure some of you boys must have done this before and was hoping to get some recommendations. Thanks

2. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

linex or rhino lined if it was me thats what i'd do. seen it on trucks once seemed like a great idea.

3. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

por 15 is good stuff

4. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

I've used POR15 on my old Dodge, and it does a fantastic job, but using it correctly isn't always easy. The good part is if you follow the directions the stuff is bombproof and indestructible.

Auto Restorer mag recently did a test of rust compounds and their #1 choice was Rust Encapsulator from Eastwood. I've never tried it, but will.

Pete
    2002 Chevy K1500
    1957 Dodge K8-D100
    1999 Kubota L3010HST

5. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Yes, following the destructions is very important with por 15.....a word of warning though, dont get it on your skin. Nothing takes it off and I do mean nothing one it cures. Stuff is fairly expensive too....

6. 400hp408sb

400hp408sb Junior Member
    from Maine

You guys have pointed me in the right direction. Thanks a lot for your help. I'll be doing more research on por 15, Rust Encapsulator, and a product called zero rust. Thanks again.

7. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

We had the Zero-Rust brand and weren't impressed with it... we found POR15 to be a superior product, but you will pay a lot more for it.

Although I will admit that we may have had a bad batch of the ZR, it dried kinda funky even in the can (may have been very old).

I'm sure it's still better than Rustoleum or Tremclad... I did most of my frame this year (over the rust) with Tremclad but I am planning on oil spraying as well.

8. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

I had really poor results with Zero Rust. It scratches easily, and those scratches start the rust thing going all over again.

Pete
    2002 Chevy K1500
    1957 Dodge K8-D100
    1999 Kubota L3010

9. ABM

ABM Junior Member

I painted my buddies '70 chevelle frame with POR 15 and it is an industructable product. I just brushed it on by hand and it looks perfect. We even hit it with a hammer to try to chip it but it wouldn't.