1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best new dump bed

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jguck25, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

I am in the process of looking for a new dump bed for my chassis cab f350. My current bed has been neglected and needs a lot of repair, and not to mention it is a HEAVY sob. I would prefer an aluminum but since aluminum is weaker I would like to make sure I'm getting a decent brand. What do you guys run?

I am not ruling out steel, but with a 2000 f350 dump drw chassis cab with the 7.3, there is not a whole lot left over for payload, hence why I'd like aluminum, as long as it is not cost prohibitive. My current bed seems to take up half my payload.

What do you guys run?
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  2. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

I have a 3 to 4 yard body right now, not sure the brand, but it is large and heavy. thinking a 2 to 3 yard would be better for weight savings.
  3. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

4. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I like air flow
    I have had rugby not great
    Abc out if biz
    Now maurado
    The air flow on my international is hands down best bed and it is steel
    Put air bags in your dump
  5. Absolute87

Absolute87 Junior Member

I also am interested in ideas. Have a Chevy 3500 12' stake body dump that needs a lot of bed work and can't decide what to do. Don't want to drop a lot of money into it ether though.
  6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Don't rule out stainless.
  7. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

As Mark said stainless is a nice option. I've got an 11' Smith stainless on our 2014 550 and really like it. Still heavy but it was the only 100% stainless body around at the time. I also run aluminum truckcraft flat beds and flat bed dumps but they aren't exactly durable enough to replace a dump, at least not the ones I've got.
  8. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

why do you need a dump? what are you hauling? look into live bottom buzzbox. I have added 5 in last year and love them. spreader is great and can spread bag material.
  9. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Next dump bed I build will be aluminum. See my build of a steel one in my sig.
  10. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I wrestled with that same question this year. I have an '05 Silverado dmax 3500 drw. The dump body is swiss cheese and getting worse. Empty, the truck weighs about 8900lbs so its legal load capacity is a dismal 3000lbs. I was thinking about an aluminum dump because the truck only has 110,000 miles but even though its half the weight, it still only gives an extra 7-800 lb capacity. That still doesn't help very much. So I made the decision to replace it with a Ram 5500. Problem solved. I should be picking it up this afternoon.
  11. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Since you got a dodge there'll be a bunch more problems to solve
  12. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

You ain't kidding
  13. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Like what to do with all the money he saves by it not breaking down.
  14. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

magnum makes some nice dumps. Made in maine