1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best Mini Lightbar for daytime use??

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by GMCHD plower, Mar 22, 2013.

1. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

Hey guys, I'm looking for a new mini light bar, LED or Strobe, preferably less than $325. I'm looking for one small enough to throw under the back seat of my ext cab, but I need the brightest I can get for summer time hauling hay... Any ideas are appreciated!

2. Ray

Ray PlowSite.com Veteran

I just got a whelen responeder from Strobesnmore and it is crazy bright in the day time. $299 and free shipping is well within your requirements.

3. 04ram1500

04ram1500 Member

I also have the Whelen Responder, also from strobesnmore. the light is very bright even in full sun. I would definitely recommend it.

4. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Slightly out of your price range but my Federal Signal Mini Legend is pretty bright.

I mostly just run my led hide-a-ways while pulling wagons, I figure they can't see the light bar behind me anyway and oncoming traffic should see me either way I'd hope.

5. Roundhammer

Roundhammer Member

LOL..!

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The Whelen Responder LP is CRAZY Bright.

Thoes linear modules make it REALLY easy to see in the daytime even in the sun!

Good luck in your search..:)

RH

6. Strobesnmore

Strobesnmore Senior Member

I use the responder myself and love it. Nothing beats the output.

7. GMCHD plower

Mark! I was hoping you'd chime in sense we do similar stuff, how much is "slightly"? Also does it come in a magnetic mount/ cig plug combo?

8. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

If I remember right mine was 4 franklins plus shipping from a guy on Ebay. Don't remember his user name but he's often got stuff on there.
    I don't know about a mag mount/cig plug combo but it wouldn't be hard to do. Mine's permanently mounted to my backrack with the 6 button controller stuck to my dash.

9. GMCHD plower

Thanks Mark! Think thats a bit more out of my price range as I can't find one for less than $700, also I'm not sure I would want to try to convert it to a cig plug... Thanks again though!

10. SalNazzaro

SalNazzaro Senior Member

I use the able 2 sho me led mini lightbar, I love it

11. SalNazzaro

SalNazzaro Senior Member

12. iowadmaxss

iowadmaxss Junior Member

13. Mitchplows

Mitchplows Member

The strobes n more mini lightbar is great, and you can have a color change option for an extra $30. It's only $200 and it's just as bright as all the other ones

14. LopatLT7495

LopatLT7495 Member

I have a Whelen responder on my 03 Cummins, it is blue for Fire/EMS response but i have to say no matter what color that bar is awesome. Ive had it for probably 4yrs and it had gotten a good beating between weather, tree branches and countless hours of being on while on scene. I think it would be the best bang for your buck within your budget. Good luck.

15. Dash Flash

Dash Flash Member
    from Arizona

The Dash Flash® Mini-Magnum™ is comprised of six High Output Generation 3 linear LED modules and comes with magnetic mounts for no extra charge.

Imitations of the Mini-Magnum™ are being sold all over eBay for $249.95, but you can buy the genuine lightbar factory-direct for only $139.95 at http://www.dash-flash.com/mini-magnum.html

There's also a video of the light in operation at the site.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  16. Strobesnmore

The picture shows TIR optics. Are they linear optics or TIR?

17. Dash Flash

Dash Flash Member
    from Arizona

Per our engineers, the Mini-Magnum™ uses linear LEDs. Our Stealth Flash™ Split Visor Mount Lightbar at $199.95 is the only one we make that uses the Total Internal Reflector (TIR3) LEDs.

[​IMG]

TIR3 LEDs are the brightest directly in front of the light head. Gen 3 linear LEDs disperse more of the light to the sides.

I'll check with our engineers to make sure...but in a 360 degree lightbar, TIR LEDs would actually be preferable to linear LEDs.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  18. Dash Flash

Dash Flash Member
    from Arizona

GMCHD plower, the Mini-Magnum™ is as bright as any light you can buy, includes the magnetic mount, and comes with a lighter plug. It sells for $139.95.

It has 8 flash patterns instead of the 20 that some other brands have. But do you really want to spend $200 to $500 more for more flash patterns? Most guys pick ONE and leave it at that.

[​IMG]

Dash Flash® Mini-Magnum™

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  19. Strobesnmore

Dash Flash, please dont take this the wrong way but do you really expect any of us to believe your $130.00 light is equal to say the Whelen Responder for $299.99. I have seen many of the Chinese made lights and again no insult intended but the quality, light output, and fit and finish just do not come close to the name brand manufacturers.

Also just a note but you might want to update the picture of your minibar as it clearly shows TIR optics.

20. durafish

durafish PlowSite.com Addict
    from 02919

I agree with snm. I'm sure your light will do the job done but I'm willing to bet your getting all lights off eBay. I've found everything except the larger bar you sell on eBay. It Chinese lights and no way made in the US. Snm has the some of the best prices and even though I've found some of their lights on eBay I'm sure they are made at a much higher quality. Just simply looking at the two you can tell.
    Heres a link to the mini "magnum" for half of what your selling it for. http://m.ebay.com/itm/271357552820?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1