1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best Material for Pre-Salting?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by G.Williams, Nov 27, 2001.

1. G.Williams

G.Williams Member

Here's my question. We are wondering what the best material is for pre-salting prior to a storm. We have used rock salt in the past and it does so-so. We need to buy a little time on a few accounts that have high truck traffic and would like to put down some material that would melt the first bit of precipitation that hits it and doesn't let the remainder freeze to the ground after being run over. Any and all comments appreciated. Thank you all.

BTW, we do not have a method to apply liquid with any kind of precision so if that is one method, we won't be able to do that. Thanks.

2. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Hi G,
    Good to see you over here too ;) Do a search on Magic salt to get a lot of threads with info on that product, which would work well for the situation you are describing. Also, Ice Ban is similar so do a search on that & coated salt. I'm sure others will respond too.

3. G.Williams

G.Williams Member

How's it going BRL? Nice to see familiar faces. Thanks I will check it out. What we really need is like 2 more trucks, but hey, maybe Santa will deliver for Xmas right? What is magic salt, coated salt? coated with what? Thanks for the reply.

4. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

many guys on this site are fans of magic..... I am going to use Ice Ban this year to pretreat these surfaces. I am spraying it directly as a liquid..... But if you are using a salt spreader you might try pre-wetting your mag-chloride with 8 gal per ton before spreading.