1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

best machine for sidewalks!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by baddboygeorge, Nov 1, 2003.

1. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

i have a new contract this year an it requires lots of sidewalks to be cleared an salted . i was thinking of a 4 wheeler with a 48 inch blade an a small salter for it . any of you guys using them , if so let me know how they work thanks george

2. ROSELAWN

ROSELAWN Member

Once again specifics will help to give the most accurate response.

3. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I use my younger brother, works pretty good when hes not frozen;) If hes nice i give him a snowblower..I have seen atv's with a blade doing a local college here seems to work fine.

4. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

atv works great aslong as you plow with the storm
    if the snow is deep then you have to break out the snow blower

cardoctor:salute:

5. whitetail

whitetail Junior Member

I use ATV's with 48 inch plows for one community with about 9000 feet of sidewalk (no steps). The walks are 48 inches wide also. In the first storm of last year we wore through the original cutting edge on the plow. I switched all of the edges to 3/8 inch wear plate and they held up through the rest of the winter with flying colors. The other problem we encountered was tearing up the grass on the edge of the walk if the operator did not remain perfect in plow placement. To correct this I cut an angle on the left and right edges from the top corner to 3-4 inches in on the bottom edge. This shortened up the plow and stopped the grass damage while still leaving the customer happy with 40+ inches of plowed sidewalk.

6. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

put a u-edge on mine had same problem with grass

purchased from dino during the summer

it was wide enough to make two out of it

plus with the u-edge lessen the chance of my guy getting shot over the handlebars from uneven side walk

cardoctor:nod:

7. Newnamlawn

Newnamlawn Junior Member

has anyone used a toro dingo or similar machine for sidewalks? seems like they might work pretty good.

8. Toby

Toby Senior Member
    from NY

Hydraulic Walkbehind tractor w/JRCO sweeper or Berco plow.

9. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Trackless

Geoff

10. Progrounds

Progrounds Junior Member

We too use ATV's with 48" blades. Same wear problems as earlier stated on the first snow, but we put 3/4" poly edges on them and they lasted all winter.
    We also use a Ventrac with hydraulic plwo, adn a Steiner with the same.
    The ATV's are manually lifted and angled, but they move aroudn so well, they hardly ever need to be adjusted.

11. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

This is my sidewalk machine.

Bill

snowplow 003.jpg

12. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

Screw a atv for sidewalks when you have a trackless with a big blower and a cummings engine.:D