1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best HOA set up

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Guch710, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Guch710

Guch710 Junior Member

Hi guys, I'm new to plow site. Been a member over on lawnsite for some time and just finally made it over here. A little background about my business... We are a full service landscape/hardscape installation company. We also provide maintenance to HOAs and small commercial businesses.

Until this past year we haven't done too much plowing (not that 15/16 season had a lot of snow but in terms of accounts). We've mainly plowed small commercials under 1.5 acre. And we have subbed out the plowing at our HOAs. I am looking to do the snow at the HOAs next season because quite frankly the guy we have used is getting complacent and the customer service towards the association has gone down hill and is now causing me more stress than it's worth in dealing with a sub.

What is the best set up for an HOA complex? One complex has 60 drives the other has 85. I have skidsteers and compact tractors so my thought was dedicating one machine per site. I was thinking of equipping the compact tractor with a back blade and a front plow. Essentially back up the drive, pull away from the door and then place/stack with the front plow. We would then need to go around the a truck and salt. Does anyone have any suggestions on a more efficient way of going about this? Really don't want to backdrag all the driveways with a truck. Looking forward to other suggestions

Thanks for the help and sorry for the long post

2. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

My tractor has a 8.5' wide back box and a DXT on the front and kills it. Fast as can be.

3. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

What are the driveways like? Length? Width? As someone who USED to plow driveways, i am going to suggest a tractor with an inverted blower.

4. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

I'd have some sort of setup with a plow and another with a blower if possible. I am not much into anything more than pickup truck plowing but if you plowed the road with a truck and then took care of all the drivers with your tractor and a blower that could be a good setup.

5. newhere

from Fenton

We don't even know what state the guy is in or the size of drive ways but we are all ready telling him to drink the blower kool aid.

Just say no to blowers.

6. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

tractors with cabs and heat, plow on front, blower on back...helps to keep piles manageable

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Yup, all those guys in Quebec that are doing thousands upon thousands of driveways are all morons.

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

I've been plowing for 30 years, there is no faster way of doing drives than with a tractor\blower combo. Whether there's 2" or 10".

8. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Not to mention its a HOA and there is nothing cleaner looking then a driveway done with a blower. No sod tore up, sprinkler heads hit and so on.

9. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Isn't Michican part of Canada?

10. Mark Oomkes

Yes, but not the French part of Kannada. Thumbs Up:drinkup::laughing:

11. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

...So like the whale eating desolate part.???

12. Mark Oomkes

Is there any other part other than that and the French part?

13. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

I thought Canada was part of Michigan, you know like the U.P.

14. Mark Oomkes

Lmao.......

15. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

Even as somebody who has all trucks. Just watching videos, tractors/blowers are the clear winner. My reasons for not having one, funds, not enough work for one. If given the choice it would be a no brainer, EH!

16. newhere

from Fenton

I have the funds and the work. I bought one, used it and sold it because it wasn't fast enough. Box and blade are faster.

If we regularly got snow storms over 12" I would consider it to aviod massive piles.

17. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

To each his own....

But i wonder how many guys have made the switch to tractor/blowers and feel that the plow is still faster on residential, HOA and condo drives?

@newhere.... did you sell the blower yet? It wasn't a 92-280 Normand, was it?

18. Guch710

Guch710 Junior Member

The driveways are roughly 16'W by 30'L. Now there are a few longer ones but not any shorter. My concern with the snow blower is where do I put the snow? These units are very tight, some only have 3' between driveways.

The residential road in front of the units is actually maintained by the township but I guess my plan would be to clear the drives onto the street then tidy up the street and stack the snow where possible

19. Mark Oomkes

Where are you going to put it if you use a plow?

20. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Couldn't you put the snow on the front lawn of each house? One house you blow to the right and the adjacent house you blow to the left.