1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best Hitch

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GOOG, Jan 16, 2011.

1. GOOG

GOOG Junior Member

I'm getting ready to buy a new truck to spread salt and do a little plowing. I am undecided on a Western or a Boss. What is the better hitch system? I have seen an Ultramount up close, and like it. I have never seen a Boss in person, so I have no opinion of it. What do you guys prefer? What is good and bad about each? - Tom

2. rusty_keg_3

rusty_keg_3 Senior Member

Hmm, we have had both... Both are GREAT IMO... Now we run Boss...

Boss-
    Its nice, pull up yo your blade, push it a little, hop out, plug the plow in, go to the cab... Hole the down button (float)... Go back to the plow, flip 2 switches... Then press the button... the "tower" lifts, and your pins click... Back into your warm truck...

Bad, one of my pins in my plug busted, and it was the one that makes the tower go up and down...

Western-
    Pull up, hop out, and pull the handles...

bad, the "hooks" get bent easily and then you can spend 15 plus min hooking the plow up...

So for what its worth... Id say boss plow... Hope it helps...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYEAKlXmgw8

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  3. rusty_keg_3

rusty_keg_3 Senior Member

I changed my mind... I LOVE my BOSS snow plow!!! Their mounts nice, but since my 1 pin broke i gotta push it up by hand... And with all the electronics... thats more to go wrong...

Wit our trucks we get manual windows, locks, and mirrors... Power this and that is nice, but thats 3 more things that can go wrong... And my bros 95 ram 2500... the power windows didnt work, and that sucked... And the power locks... Then the 99 chevy 2500, his passenger side kept going berserk on us....

And with boss being all hydrolic, and western having the chain... If your hydrolics do out you can lift the plow by hand, of push against something... then adjust the chain... with the boss... your stuck...

So i would say western when it comes to mounts... after the plow and truck get beat up and tweaked over time, it might take a little longer... but it still works...

Thats the only 2 things i dont like about boss, but still would choose a new boss over a western based on all the other stuff...

4. Alpha Property

Alpha Property Senior Member

before you drop the blade, lift it up and drop the jack leg 1 or 2 holes lower than it would normally go, pull up to where you want to drop the blade and drop it. Now when you want to pull up to it, you can pull rite in no prob, and turn the controller on and hit float before you get out the first time, and then you can flip the 2 levers, hit the switch on the tower and your all done.
    This has to be the easiest system of them all as long as you can aim your truck into the plow