1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best Headache Rack?

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by ShaneysLawnCare, Mar 9, 2015.

1. ShaneysLawnCare

ShaneysLawnCare Senior Member

So oover the last year I have had to replace 4 back windows in different trucks and now the strap broke on a 55 gallon drum and smashed another window on another truck! so what is the best headache rack?!

11046462_10153225559941834_496229181367440181_n.jpg

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

My favorite are the Ranch Hand but Back Rack are popular around here. Or you could always have one built by a local welder.

3. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

I always build my own with a rail down the side to attach hooks too so that stuff can br strapped down.
    btw, i have seen a couple backracks after accidents and they will also go through the window as they dont have much stability during a accident compared to going down the side rails.

4. ShaneysLawnCare

Do you have any pictures?

5. ShaneysLawnCare

Well this sucks just unloaded another barrel in with a 2" strap this time haha and noticed bent the bed rail :( we havent even had the truck a month yet haha. Oh well lol But is there anything to stiffen up factory bed rails or is that an impossibility

11001890_10153225573876834_8318110942210459795_n.jpg

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  6. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I always build my own too. You can see the link in my signature for the headache rack build. I also incorporated one into my flat bed dump bed build also in my signature.
    T.J.

7. ShaneysLawnCare

Well it looks like an awesome shop you have! I love the rack, I am not sure what to do for the other 3 trucks but I bought a "backrack" branded one for this truck new glass goes in tomorrow but I wouldnt mind building my own I wanna try and find more for options

8. kimber750

Have you looked into just getting a flatbed? Would make loading and unloading a lot easier. And pretty much all flatbeds will have a headache rack built in.

9. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

10. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

Are you running straps to the thin underside of the bed rails? Or down to the valid tie downs in each corner of the bed?

11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I've hauled 55gal drums for years (sealcoating) some tines 15 at a time and only one time have I had one dump over and that was on the back of a trailer.

Slow down and drive with some level of care.

A strap from wall-mart may not be strong enough.....
    Then get rid of that slick plastic bed liner, get and a spray in.

Go get a 3-4"inch strap from a truck center or better yet use a chain and binder.

12. ShaneysLawnCare

I have a 2 F550's one dump and one flatbed both still have salter set ups on them. I have never thought about a SRW pickup conversion! any pictures?!?! of extended cab shortbeds!

13. ShaneysLawnCare

They were on pallet and yea, it wasnt a wal mart strap but it was only a 700 lbs strap :/ and the worst part about was it didnt tip till I pulled onto the road the shop is on! and it is a spray in! But it does look plastic like! but it is really sticky spray in

14. kimber750

He is mine on a SRW.

IMG_20150305_040722_628.jpg

IMG_20150228_115722_480.jpg

15. kimber750

Not a short bed but know CM makes them for short bed.

16. ShaneysLawnCare

Does that have stake pockets?

17. kimber750

Yes and rub rail on the sides. This bed also comes with hidden goose neck and and 14.5k bumper hitch. It can also peel the drivers side off a Honda with very minimal damage. :cry:

18. ShaneysLawnCare

How much was it? I think I'll leave this truck a pickup but I have an 05 that needs a new box (rusted out) that also pulls the goosneck so itd be a good upgrade!

19. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

ok, I know banging up a new truck su@ks.
    Just that it has happened more than once led to my slow down comment.

just an idea, ditch the pallet..... the gaps can let it tip easier and they can break.

You can find contractor racks that have angel iron that goes over the bed rail, with a headache rack built into them.

good luck

20. ShaneysLawnCare

I should have slown down more :(
    and after further investigation the pallet board broke allowing them to tip and snap strap.
    And perfect!
    Thank you its always appreciated!!