1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best form of ballast...

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Merc1100sc, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

Whats the best form of Ballast to run???

2. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

This has been talked about alot... do a search...

You will find a lot of people use some sort of bags material... salt, sand, water softener sand. Also it probable is not a good idea to not use something too solid like cinder blocks...

I use the tube sand you can pick up at local stores. I place them tight against the tailgate and use then built a sort of L-shaped cover out of wood. The cover locks into into of the grooves in my bed-liner so it the bags cannot slide around.

3. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

Yeah, I was thinking sand. i figure go to home depot and buy a few bags.
  4. meathead1134

meathead1134 Senior Member
    from MA

Cheap enough there. I paid less than 3 dollars a piece
  5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Some thing dense and heavy??
    How about using "Insert name here" to sit on the tailgate!!!:drinkup:
  6. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

She's probably in the cab of the truck!!! :)

Sand in 5 gallon buckets. My bags always rip or froze together making it a b#tch so i started dumping them in 5 gallon paint/drywall mud buckets. End of problem. A couple of PT 2x4's drywall screwed together and a ratchet tie down and they stay put...
  7. I use these

8. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

haha.. thats funny
  9. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

they come in 40 or 80# bags? cant remember
  10. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I believe mine were 60# bags....
  11. gino

gino Member
    from Maine

i bought mine at wally world. #70 Bags.
  12. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

I put 2 tarps over the wheel wells, and place 12 bags of 50# salt on top, and then wrap the tarp over the salt. That way when im all done, I can just pull the tarp and all the bags come out at once.
  13. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

10-12 bags of De-icer (60#) tarped and as they are used to spread, we go out to the shop and load up more...:waving:
  14. btrussell

btrussell Member

I use plastic tubs (20 gallon rubermaid) and I used to go to the beach just down the road and put about 150 lbs of sand in each. The other day i went and bought fillable sand bags and took the sand from the tubs and put about 60 lbs in each bag and now I just stack the bags inside the tubs. The bags make it easier to take out and put in and Im thinking of maybe getting a single large tub to use instead of the 3- 20 gallon ones. Anyway I use a racet strap to hold them tight against my tailgate. Works well for me. Just my two cents.
  15. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

My family was in the jewelry business for 60 years but we closed shop a couple of years ago. Anyway, we have several thousand tap and die sets that just sit on the shelves (worth 2-3 grand a piece years ago, but are only worth scrap now) and the larger ones weigh 160+ lbs. so this winter I'll just load 4 of those bad boys in the back, and there's over 600 lbs.
  16. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

ok, went to the Depot last night and bought 420# worth of sand bags.. did make quite a difference. the truck rides better and doesnt squat as much up front when the blade is lifted.. also easier to drive around in 2wd w/ the plow on.. my question is, is 420# enough for an 05 ext cab 2500hd w/ a fisher 8.5V?
  17. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

My dealer here recommends 800 lbs of ballast weight with a plow. I think we run 720 and it works great! But if it's working for you why load on more!
  18. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

seems good, but, i guess the more the better as long as its not hurting the truck, which i wouldnt think 550-600#'s would. would it?
  19. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Fisher recommends 450# of ballast for your truck and plow setup. I would do around what they recommend.
  20. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

good point