1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best for Driveways

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by JDKSERVLLC, Aug 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JDKSERVLLC

JDKSERVLLC Junior Member
    from MI

Plowing near 100 residential driveways this year in SE Mich and considering a couple things,

1) Best length blade for residential
    2) Steel or Poly
    3) Straight or V-Blade

My local dealer Weingartz sells Boss so its either a Super-Duty Straight or a Heavy-Duty Power-V.

Thoughts?

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

8', poly, straight.....

3. Meezer

Meezer Senior Member
    from Indiana

The best plow for driveways is the Hiniker C Plow.

4. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I agree but that wasn't an option!

5. Ryank

Ryank Senior Member

i'd go stainless V... 100 driveways is a lot...

6. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

I would hate to be number 99 on your route......How long do you think its gonna take to Plow 100 Driveways???.....

7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

8. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I call "B.S." on this whole thread. 100 driveways??? And doesn't know what kind of plow to use? So, he signed up 100 customers for himself and doesn't even have a plow yet? Ya, right.

9. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

residentials can vary so much. Some areas that means tiny two car driveways and all 100 in a 10 mile radius. Some areas that means 500 feet long and two cars wide. are you in an urban country or city area?

10. JDKSERVLLC

JDKSERVLLC Junior Member
    from MI

Thanks for the advice, those who gave it. Took a look at the C-plow. Dealer in my area is not very close and although that is an ideal configuration I wonder how robust all those moving parts would be. One other question, why go stainless over poly other than the obvious no rusting on blade.

11. JDKSERVLLC

JDKSERVLLC Junior Member
    from MI

It's gonna be a very long day that's for sure. Most likely I'll bring in another crew to do walks and such. Haven't worked out all the details yet!

12. Broncslefty7

Broncslefty7 Senior Member

i send 2 guys out with snow blowers and they do 15-20 driveways in a reasonable amount of time. we run three crews. blowers are cleaner, less possibility for damage, and cheaper imo. my labor for the three crews for the winter is less then the cost of a v plow.

13. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

so if i am understanding this correctly, you will be plowing 100 driveways in a few short months from now. but you do not currently have a plow? and based on your questions of what kind of plow to get, it sounds as if you have no prior experience plowing snow - or at least residentials?

if true, i don't know how you were able to acquire 100 driveways for your first season, but you are biting off way more than you can chew.

14. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

This sh!t is so funny...

These better be the smallest driveways ever made or you're in trouble.

15. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

V Plow, 8'2" Steel

100 Driveways - Three Trucks - for the kind I have around here. I could not even imagine 100 driveways. What happens when it snows 12" in one shot. Or like 2 years ago we got 21 inch all at once with 50 MPH winds.

16. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I second this^^^^
    This thread sounds like bs to me

17. JDKSERVLLC

JDKSERVLLC Junior Member
    from MI

I must say I am very disappointed at some of the posts from people on my thread. I came here for advice on what blade would be good for residential. I never said I have no experience pushing snow nor did I say I would be the only one clearing my accounts. I will agree that I may have bite off a chunk but will say that I have never had a problem getting the job done. My client is an REO client so if any of you know what that is than you'll know why the volume is what it is. Good luck and be safe to all of you this season. I will never return to this site for advice again!

18. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

Ya'll come back now!

19. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

i dont think anyone was rude or disrespectful. people were merely commenting on the facts as you laid them out.

if i went to an arborist site and said "i just acquired a 10 acre site to clearcut, what chainsaw should I get?" i would hope the guys on that site wouldn't just say "get a stihl". hopefully they'd slow me down a bit and help me understand what i am getting myself into.

anyway, take the advice you got or leave it. its up to you. good luck.

20. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

100 drives I would own 3-4 Jeeps with plow on the front and a Snowman Rear pull plow

If You don't have $$ to buy jeeps Look in to a rear pull plow it will be faster then back dragging

I would hate a 100 drive route even at 50

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.