1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best for a 2001?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by SuffolkPlower, Dec 7, 2010.

1. SuffolkPlower

SuffolkPlower Junior Member

First off I want to thank the people that have posted this good information on the site, it is helpful.
    My main question is about what plow I should put on my 2001 Dodge Ram 1500. I have never owned a plow but i have decided to see what i can do this winter. I am searching cragslist right now and see all types of plows but have no idea if they are compatable with my truck unless it says so in the Ad. I know I can get a new Hiniker installed for about $4500 but I am not looking to spend that much starting off for a new blade. Any suggestions? Thanks agian
  2. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

My suggestion would be something light weight, and no more than 7'6" and stay away from Meyer.

3. SuffolkPlower

Ok thats good info, can you tell me what weight range I should look for? How much is too heavy?
  4. GatorDL55

GatorDL55 Senior Member

Just go onto any manufacturers website and enter you truck details. It will tell you what kind of plow you can put on your truck. It will also have the weight of the complete plow. That will give you a starting point for weight.

Then, find a plow for cheap and see if the manufacturer makes a mount for you truck to use with it. The earlier guy says stay away from Meyer but that it what i had on my dodge ram 1500. It was an STL.

Just remember, it's a half ton truck. It will push snow but you can't go crazy.
  5. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

It's easy to add heavier coils to the Dodge, just watch you don't exceed the front gross axle rating, you could also add 10 ply tires to help carry the load plus they will handle better. Check to make sure you have a trans cooler, if not add a big one with a trans temp gauge, and unless you are running 4:10 gears or lower, plow only in low range.
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2010

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Had a 26 series Snoway on one of my earlyer 1500 Dodges. The truck handled the blade great and it pushed a good amount of snow. DP is your friend due to how light the smaller bades are, excellent for backpulling. My biggest complaint was with the wireless remote. Always worked a fraction of a second late and would be a pain when lifing the blade at the end of a run. Seemed I would catch the curb untill my brain finally got the rythm.
  7. SuffolkPlower

8. schockservices

schockservices Junior Member
    from ND

Just be carefull to read up on the specs of the plows sometimes the frame work to make a plastic plow tough actually out weighs or is comparable to steel. I plow with rams also and previous comments are true, cooler and be sure your radiator is flushed and clean I had alot of crap in mine and it dosent take long to overheat. I put heavy shocks in the front with timbren pucks and bigger coils just be carefull your turning ability will be compromised a little if the plow is too heavy 7 6 boss is what i had steel v.
  9. SuffolkPlower

Well my water cooler blew today so Im in the shop...guess Ill have them clean the radiator while its in...thanks
  10. ShorePower

ShorePower Senior Member

Sno way is great iff we had a dealer for service and parts on Long Island. Although Meyer , Western and Fisher get dogged on, dealer's and parts are readily available for the on the Island. When a plow part breaks at 2 am during a storm Down pressure doesn't matter. Finding parts fast and cheap does. On Long Island we only get a few plowable events a year. Miss one storm due to broken equipment and wave goodbye to an entire season's profit.
  11. SuffolkPlower

Thanks ShorePower, I was turned on to Snow Dogg MD series... Problem is my only option seems to be a new one costing around $4,500 total. You happen to know of anything used thatll fit me?