1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best exhaust/muffler mods for a 6.0L...

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mkwl, Mar 31, 2008.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I'm looking to put an exhaust system in my truck. I was thinking cat-back system, but really am looking for the sound of a magnaflow or flowmaster etc, as well as getting better performance out of a "better than stock" muffler. What is the best "bang for the buck" exhaust system? How much $$$? It is for my 2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD reg cab long bed with the 6.0L Vortec. Also- does anyone know if it would harm the truck to run it for a little while with no muffler on it just to see how it sounds?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sure you can run it all you want without the muffler, wont hurt a thing. Neighbors might not be too happy with it though. Which necessitates the question, how loud do you want it? That determines what you want to buy rather than price alone. How much noise do you want and how much interior resonance can you stand?

3. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Trust me you do not want to run without a muffler i did for about 2 months I thought it was cool at first but it got real old real quick. and all my window molding would rattle loose lol. Now ive got glasspacks and they sound decent I am just getting tired of a loud truck and i might go back to stock. and now it seems everyone of my neighbors wants to kill me i come and go at early hours of the morning when i go to plow snow.

4. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

i'd leave it stock. You'll get tired of it after a while, especially from the interior resonance. I had a SLP loudmouth on one of my old Trans Ams which was basically straight through. Loud as a mother, but it resonated so bad, it sucked to drive. If you gotta drive the truck all the time, and are driving in the wee hours of the morning, you might want to rethink it. The 6.0 already sounds decent stock as it is. Try to put an electric cut out on it, that way you can open and close it whenever you want.

5. Bibbo

Bibbo Senior Member

go for something like a flowmaster that will give you a deep agressive tone but is not overly loud or to much interior noise, like the 50-60 series i think. the problem i have heard about guys with glass packs on trucks is they dont last, they blow the packing out of them... just what ive herd. im in the same boat but on a dodge

6. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I got a flowmaster on my 6.0 and it does sound very good. Still has the stock exit and everything. No interior noise and has a good deep tone to it. It is too quiet for me though. I am going to be switching it out for a Gibson dual exhaust that exits at 45's behind the back tires:)

7. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I'm really just looking to replace the muffler, I'd like it to "look" stock but have a deeper/louder tone. Can the muffler be changed myself or is it better to have a shop do it? What is needed to change it out? What are prices on the different brands (magnaflow, flowmaster, borla etc) of deep tone/loud mufflers? Which would be (in your opinion) best for my truck- I do want it pretty loud.

Thanks,
    Matt

8. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Also- does anyone know where to get the "rubber hanger" for the pipe near the exit- mine is about to break in half.

9. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Most auto parts stores sell generic ones that will work fine.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you simply want to change out the muffler you'd be better off to go ahead and have a shop do it as the inlets on the 2500HD mufflers are a bit funky to adapt to an aftermarket muffler. Usually takes a bit of custom bent pipe to get it all back together.

You can buy the replacement rubber insulators/hangers at any NAPA or most parts stores cheap.

If you want it loud then it's an easy choice...40 series Flowmaster muffler.

Catback kits vary greatly in price. Just depends on what you want..stainless, brand name, sound control/quality all affect the price.

Example: A steel (aluminized) Flowmaster cat back kit can be had for as little as $350.

But a full stainless Corsa or Borla brand kit are $1000 or more.

11. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I put dynomax bullets on my 98. They are about like a glasspack but have a bit of a different sound to them. At 55-60 they are loud but not to bad, if I stand on the gas they get plenty loud to upset people 1/4 mile away.
    I'll see if I can get a sound clip maybe tomarrow if my video camera feels like working.

Here is one off youtube. Mine arn't this loud and they don't "rap" either when I let off. His truck is a 5spd I think and mine is an auto so that makes a difference with noise also.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4-CEF3rkow&feature=related

12. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

if thats what you looking for just drill a pin size hole in your manifold

13. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

My friends fell of once and we were driving around with no muffler, after about 10 minutes your ears start to get very annoyed

14. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Whats that supposed to mean/do?

15. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

means the truck in the vid sounds like shyt.

16. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Still sounds A LOT better than 99.9% of the ricers out there. To each his own I guess.

17. lubricity

lubricity Member

Yes Kassman, it is a piece of S___. Nothing worst than loud pipes on a stock, tired, and unmodified motor.

18. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

19. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I had it on my 94 2500 with the 350. It wasnt terribly loud, but got the job done. It lasted thru 2 seasons of snow plowing and showed little to no rust/wear. For the cost of the kit, it is worth it

20. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

we jsut got a 2000 2500 with the 6.0 this week and the previous owner jsut put a magnaflow on it. I will get some Vid ASAP of how it sounds. it is not loud at all but deep mellow tone. I havne't noticed any drone in the truck and i drove it 4 hours on the interstate to get it home. everyone that has heard it loves it...even stopped by the shop that works on my cars and the owner had to climb under to find out what it was so he could get one for his truck. I will work on a video!!