1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best equipment for residentials?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CK82, Nov 5, 2006.

1. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

From past experience what is the best equipment and technique to plow a residential driveway with the garage at the end? I have back dragged many driveways and always leaves a mess for one reason or another. I am thinking about a back(rear) plow, I have heard good things about them. Also anyone heard a reports on the new Sno Way plows with the down pressure? That also may be an option here for me.

2. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

I have alot of residential driveways, I have 3 trucks, 2 - 8' Fishers, 1 - 7.5' Fisher. They work well for me
  3. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

for a res. set-up I would use a short bed regular cab with a 7 1/2' and a back-drag edge installed. Most resi's are pull in drop blade, drag to bottom, repeat, and push into pile near bottom of driveway. The added blade prevents hardpack build-up and the smaller blade helps with the single car wide and long drives of old.

this is my back-drag edge I had installed on my 8' fisher. the thing I like about it is it lifts the plow up 6", providing more snow build up area, and you can drop the blade on ice and break it up- can't do that with downpressure.
  4. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

Jeep CJ w/ 6' plow and Snow Blower :bluebounc
  5. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

I personally think you would be fine with a back blade. Used one many times, with lots of success.
  6. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

How about taking a shovel, take a few minutes and clear in front of the garage door about 20'. Then backup the truck to garage door and voila. In the meantime, the exercise prevents pot bellies, backaches etc... purplebou
  7. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

gehl 80 hp skidsteer with 8' bucket and 2 speed. i can bang out a drive in about 2-3 minutes(20'x40') and be at the next one 5 minutes later.
  8. snoking

snoking Senior Member

first off even old drives are till 9 foot wide, our drive way trucks all have 9 foot or bigger on the fron and 8 foot or bigger on back. 1/2 ton short box dodge truck.average 1-2 min per drive, my two top drivers can do 275-300 drives a night

9. Snowshow

Snowshow Member

I think it's important to let everyone know Erik that you are running hyd. systems on your trucks. A simple Daniels pull plow will not produce those types of numbers. I think if your serious about doing driveways, you gotta have the set up like you described but the secret is the hyd. systems w/downpressure on the back board. By the way, how is the Green company for snow this year?
  10. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

down pressure on Snoways is not really new......

My Snoways perform very well back dragging........

11. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

That would be great if that were true around here, I have to angle my 8' blade all the way and it still bangs on the granite curbs that run down the sides. City Driveways suck, narrow, long, curbed and go double wide behind the house.
  12. snoking

snoking Senior Member

10-4 was just trying to give the jistof the idea....

company is doing awsome....doubled up from last year......so who is this??
  13. snoking

snoking Senior Member

hi Jim....i feel like the red headed step child over here, dont call for coffee or anything anymore...lol....just kidding.....hope you know i didnt target that church, rumor is you have both walmarts.....congrats

btw Steve has his drives for sale, he just cant make up his mind

14. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

I always thought a small chevy half ton regular cab short box or a 2 door tahoe would be nice with a 7.5' blade.I prefer the smaller trucks in residential driveways.
  15. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Honestly, the best thing I've used to plow residential was a 2001 Tacoma with a 6.5' Fisher.
  16. Snowshow

Snowshow Member

Erik, funny meeting you here.:salute:

Yes, I was a little disappointed to hear about my church. I have been going to that church for years and took over the plowing there for a song. I never made any money doing it, it was just to help out my church. I had to put a loader there everynight, I thought I was doing them good service. But this was a case of price wins. They called me and wanted me to lower my price to yours and I said that I couldn't and wouldn't do that. I have been plowing them for three years and never raised any rates. Really, what a joke if you ask me. I guess if you guys can plow those lots for what what you bid it. I say go ahead. I went and got other work and don't have to run as far with a loader. Good luck on this one. I am just sorry that I guess being a church parishiner doesn't mean much to them either.

On the other side of the coin, glad to hear you have tripled up. What did you pick up to triple up. Thanks on the congrats about Wal-Mart. Signed them for multi-years. Keeps the sharks off my back for a while.

I am really not interested in doing drives anymore. I will check around to see if anyone is interested in them. How many. Is it the old N. Muskegon route?

17. snoking

snoking Senior Member

in the end i really think i got more for the church than i bid due to the fact they went seasonal, so well see...ill also have a loader over there probably jd 544 w ith daniels wing

ill catch up later with you.....
  18. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

Because none of these guys want to get out of the truck thats why. I dont understand it myself but I find a lot of weird deals and shoddy work in this business.
  19. Edgewater

Edgewater Member

In a dense area nothing beats a tractor. Hang a 7 foot blower (inverted) on the back of a 80 HP farm tractor and you are flying. No running out of space for piles, no lawn damage, no high banks.

20. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

ill keep my potbelly and stay in a nice warm truck